Greenfeed vs alfalfa grass mix - The Combine Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Greenfeed vs alfalfa grass mix

I've been doing some thinking about trying some greenfeed. Was thinking of a barely/peas mix, but would love to throw something else in there as well if I could just not sure what.

What are the benefits of green feed over a traditional grass hay? I usually do a 70/20/10 mix of alfalfa brome and Timothy I believe it is. Was wondering if I could get more feed per acre from a green feed instead?

My logic behind trying it was that it gives me a extra crop rotation, provide more feed of same acres(hopefully), and save me some fuel and tractor hours as I'd only be haying once a year rather than twice. Would be changing fields every year instead of having one field on hay for 4 years.

I can see it being a little trickier to get up in a way cause I know it takes some time to dry down. Would be cutting it with a 15' discbine.

Pros or cons to this idea? What's the best timing to get it to dry down the fastest? What's a good combo of forages to use that will winter kill after they're harvested for the year? Thinking I could maybe direct seed into it the following year, or maybe even that same fall with a fall crop.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
I canít answer your questions, but for the dry down for harvest, some guys here have pre harvested with roundup, than swath and bake directly behind. Seems to work well.

Brent.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
I run the same hay mixture and only do barley greenfeed. My dad would run oats, but as far as I am concerned oats is for chickens although I prefer it for a cover crop. I always had considerably more waste with oats too, processor or not. I run a 16' haybine with steel on rubber crimpers and it takes about 10 days of good weather to dry down. I knock it down at just into milk stage. Another thing to consider is swath grazing. It is surprising how well they will clean up. Typically I get twice the bales of green feed over hay. I will try to dig up the feed analysis from the hay and barley. You really got me thinking about adding peas into the mix, that makes me hungry. I would think that would add some drying days though.

You get what you put in and people get what the deserve. - Kid Rock

The more seriously you take things, the harder the rules become.

If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
I’ve done the pea/oat thing a few times makes really nice feed but takes forever to dry down I think last summer was 16 days. We seed it first (early May) cut around the 3rd week in July to take advantage of hot nice days. Bales are heavy a dry 5 x 6 bale is 1800lbs. It was quite dry here last year and we got 2.5 bales per acre way better then any hay we had.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Ya I think the peas add some drying time, but supposed to improve the protein quite a bit I think. Barely is supposed to be more palatable for them, from what I've been reading. Makes sense that they waste more with oats if they dont like it as much.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
What are thoughts on prehatvest to help dry down, and not risk it laying in a swath for 2 weeks?

Brent.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:01 PM
jvw

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
I realize that every area is unique, but drying greenfeed here is a virtual impossibility. Then, it sells for a fraction of what hay sells for, and cows waste more of it. That said, there have been a few years where the spring was really hot and dry, then it rained generously later in June and July, and greenfeed/silage would out yield hay considerably.

Is silaging an option?

Triticale is good, adds some tonnes, and regrows.

Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMountain View Post
Ya I think the peas add some drying time, but supposed to improve the protein quite a bit I think. Barely is supposed to be more palatable for them, from what I've been reading. Makes sense that they waste more with oats if they dont like it as much.
I mixed ours with corn silage in the mixer wagon and there was no waste. I was impressed how well they ate it. Protein was around 13. Iím not a fan of spraying it down I like the regrowth for fall grazing 70 heifers grazed on the regrowth for 3 weeks.
bjtjjl, Beerwiser and Lowmark like this.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
How would pea/ barley mix work for swath grazing? Besides spraying them, I know nothing about them. What does peas add to $/ac input?

You get what you put in and people get what the deserve. - Kid Rock

The more seriously you take things, the harder the rules become.

If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtjjl View Post
What are thoughts on prehatvest to help dry down, and not risk it laying in a swath for 2 weeks?
Would probably help, I'm trying to save as many passes as I can. Trying to use less chemical, hoping to improve soil health and make it easier on the checkbook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvw View Post
I realize that every area is unique, but drying greenfeed here is a virtual impossibility. Then, it sells for a fraction of what hay sells for, and cows waste more of it. That said, there have been a few years where the spring was really hot and dry, then it rained generously later in June and July, and greenfeed/silage would out yield hay considerably.

Is silaging an option?

Triticale is good, adds some tonnes, and regrows.
I could try silage, but I'd need to get it custom done. Doesnt really fit with my program either. Man power is a issue as well for it if I were to buy equipment. Not my cup of tea I guess.

If I do some it will all be for personal use anyways so not worried about the sale value of it. Figure if I can get it timed for the middle of July usually we have a couple weeks of hot dry around there. Get it done before harvest gets in full swing. Maybe I'm in dream land again as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page