Swather Recommendations - The Combine Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Swather Recommendations

In the market for a used rotary head swather. We have good dealer support for Deere, Massey/Hesston, and MacDon in the area. We cut both irrigated (triticale and Italian ryegrass) hay and dryland (alfalfa, barley, triticale) hay. So its either super heavy or on the light side. I've heard good things about the Massey Razorbar headers. We farm in the mountains so fast dry down is important. However Deere is pushing a W235 at an aggressive price. We're mostly Deere on everything else. Anyone have any thoughts/experiences? Rotary is new to us. Currently use two MacDon 9352's with hay headers. But they are getting looooong in the tooth.

"Never deliberately make an enemy in life, you'll make plenty by accident." Abraham Lincoln
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
What kind of heads on the Macdon's?

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy19farm View Post
What kind of heads on the Macdon's?
21' 972's with the 740 conditioners. But unless we're in super light hay they make a windrow that is too narrow and thick and doesn't dry adequately. Also doesn't do the best job conditioning even when adjusted correctly.

"Never deliberately make an enemy in life, you'll make plenty by accident." Abraham Lincoln
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2643 Post(s)
I can't really comment on the header part of things except anecdotal info on some double crimpers/rollers being allowing faster dry times??? The AGCO tractor unit is light years ahead of the others. I have a 9840 and it is very smooth and quiet, don't have to empty the cab of your toolboxes and such to get a good road speed either. Shame I don't even use it anymore and I'd sell it to you if you want a 35' windrow head too.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
I help my cousin, who is a die hard bleed green deere guy, and my uncle, who runs what ever is the cheapest to buy, and he has a massey with the razor bar and twin maxx conditioners. The twinmaxx conditioners on the Massey are a very good conditioner. My cousin runs a deer with the tine conditioner. The Massey typically is dry at least a day earlier than the deer. Could just be the difference between style of conditioner. Both of them have mainly grass hay. And farm across the road from one another in many cases, so weather shouldn't be much of a factor when things are cut on the same day

Now engaging Grumble mode engaged.

Personally, I don't care to much for the Deere. It must have been started on a Friday just before a long weekend and finished up when everyone was still hung over. The main cutter bar was replaced twice. First time it leaked out all the oil just sitting in the shed, second time a gear or something let loose and there were parts all over the place in the field. Both times replaced under warranty. Something with the pitch went wrong shortly after and it plowed into the ground. I forget how many times that happened before they got it fixed. Not much damage, just knives and a turtle. All the AC lines were replaced, Not all at once, but as the failed. And then there was a bunch of smaller electrical issues. It sure cut hay, when it ran. Things were getting behind because the mower was down so much getting fixed, and the dealer didn't want to rent, lend, or demo anything to help us out. My cousin runs all deere and replaces his whole fleet of tractors, mowers, balers and tillage equipment on a 4 year rotation, so its not like he's a bad customer to have. I don't often see him get really heated, but there was words said at the dealer, I'm glad they weren't said to me. I called up the agco dealer when I was helping out cousin and the deere was broke down and arranged to rent a Fendt with a claas disco three mower set up, just to get things caught up. The deere sales man came out and was riding with me and made some comment about how the deere was superior, and they had a better tractor and mower set up. I think he was trying to smooth things over with my cousin, and his wife, myself and the rest of the crew. It was probably not the best day to do that, as the mower was down, had been down for 4 days waiting for parts, one of the balers had the main gearbox at the end of the pto fail, the other baler tractor was having transmission issues, the main frame on the wheel rake had broke so one of the wings fell off, so basically everything was broken. I just looked at him and said Well this Fendt is actually mowing hay. That kind of shut him up.

I'm really not just impressed that much with our local Deere dealership. I haven't had a good experience with them. I can go in there with money I want to spend, and I end up leaving, madder than heck, with my money. I guess they have enough customers. I don't want to crap on deere, lots of people are happy with them. The sales guy, parts people and the local dealership just grind my gears.

In all fairness I'm not really all the impressed with the Massey either. I only ran my uncles 9770 for a couple of days It had some electrical issues. Mostly to do with the emissions. When that machine de-rates, you better hope you don't have to drive over a rock. Once they got the def system "fixed" {removed} that thing was a heck of a machine. I don't like the ergonomics of the hydrostatic lever. That is one hundred percent all me though. I broke my wrist quite a few years ago and my right wrist is kind of cocked off to one side a bit. Other than that it was a good machine. It was much better than the 9740 swather with the 5300 header that we had. Holly **** that thing would drive a nun to drink, swear and work in a strip club. That machine was a problem child and agco made it right. All I'm going to say about it.

I'm actually very much more impressed with the service from the Agco dealers in my area. There is three different dealership groups with in an hour's drive. When I go into those dealerships they treat me with a little respect, and are happy take my money.

I'd really like to try out one of the new MacDons. I have heard good things about them in every aspect except price.

Grumble mode off.
wavesofgrain likes this.

Statistics are like a Bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal, is vital.

Aaron Levenstien
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
They seem to command those prices because #1 they seem to be excellent and #2 lots of guys know about #1. That’s the local sentiment anyway, in 10 miles around I can only think of a small handful of windrowers that aren’t Macdon.

I’ve been looking for windrowers and have resigned myself to Agco simply for price, same money for 5 years newer and including hay head over Macdon
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Hi wavesofgrain.

Not on your shortlist but I'll offer my experience.

We have a NH H8080 with a 419 head. Have about 1100 hrs on it and has been relatively trouble free. Just putting a new set of steel rolls in as the rubber is worn off the original ones. I have replaced the seals and orings in a valve block and a couple of disc modules.

Has a very smooth ride with the suspended cab and rear axle. Takes a while to get past the feeling of it wanting to go ass over teakettle when slowing or stopping on a steep hill. I have rode the header down a couple of hills with the rear wheels in the air. The cab is roomy and comfortable with a decent buddy seat.

Being 230 hp it is fairly thirsty as it is run at the power limit in most field conditions but, 19' at 9-12+ mph you do cover some acres fast. In lighter crops you can throttle back and maintain disc rpms independent of engine rpm. I do find the 19' swath is heavy and slow to dry however we ted it soon after cutting.

I don't have any seat time in a different model to offer a comparison but I'm pretty impressed with this unit. Not to mention the price was appealing compared to a green unit. I have two friends with MF 9365s I believe and they like them.
wavesofgrain likes this.

Dan
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 712alberta View Post

I'm actually very much more impressed with the service from the Agco dealers in my area. There is three different dealership groups with in an hour's drive. When I go into those dealerships they treat me with a little respect, and are happy take my money.

I'd really like to try out one of the new MacDons. I have heard good things about them in every aspect except price.

(Not trying to distract here)

Don't know if it's similar to down here but, the agco dealers probably want business, as I've heard of strange "requirements" set by Duluth.(as in hit it or get out)

The new Macdons do look nice, I have heard well and seen well with demo's and neighbors, but I don't want to drive more than an hour during haying for parts.

Otherwise on topic I can't say much...I still run agco-Hesston's and Versatile's
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
My brother has a massey and he loves it, its cheap to run. But he also has a newholland and he hates it, very costly to keep in the field, blades and blade hub wise. He is in bad hill and rocks.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Anyone put the 13' discbine head on a Macdon 150 hp power unit? Does it have enough power or should a guy look at the 205 hp power unit for the discbine?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page