The Combine Forum banner

Deere paint codes?

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  whtbaron 
#1 ·
Did a quick search here, surprised i didn't see it.

I am looking for paint brands/codes that are very near John Deere Green and Yellow.
I have some large stuff to paint and rattle cans aren't gonna cut it.

Thanks.

#4 ·
Its a very good price i reckon. Its very good quality and seems to hang on tight even on dirty steel. Use it alot. No paint shop has come close to that glossy yellow or green yet, in AUS that is.

#6 ·
We have to build and or modify a lot of our own machinery for custom application purposes. I've tried a lot of different paint brands from factory to parts house special, my favorite to date is Van Sickle. It's half a shade off exact factory match, but it sticks very well, shoots nicely, covers like a blanket, and is nicely priced:54:

#7 ·
Anybody that sells automotive paints like Imron can mix you gallons/4 litres, quarts/litres of pretty much any color you want, metallic or non-metallic including John Deere green or yellow. If you think John Deere is expensive you better brace yourself for the sticker price in automotive paint. Just remember that 2 part systems require an activator as well as the usual paint/reducer combination. If you look at a basecoat/clearcoat system you also have to apply the clear or it will dry with a flat finish. I've shot RM, Dupont, SW and PPG products in the past all with good results if the labels are followed, and I don't see a big problem with the paints marketed by Deere or IHC either. As for color matches, there have been some variations in the shade of green that Deere has used over the years, so if the companies are selling one or 2 shades, it may not be a perfect match for the particular piece of equipment you are working on. When they get to the yellow, make sure you check the chips against the code so you aren't getting the industrial yellow that looks more like the Caterpillar color.

#8 ·
I guess it wasn't priced as bad as i thought, i just bought it from deere, and they sell it by the gallon.
Its definitely an old technology paint, its only a 1K, a lacquer... 1960's technology. But i guess i shouldn't be surprised as its only going on farm equipment.
Thanks for the input guys!

#9 · (Edited)
Single stage, but it won't be a lacquer... pretty sure it will be an acrylic enamel which will still be one step ahead of the industrial quality synthetic enamels.
Edit... After shooting my mouth off I thought I had better double check the cans, and I must say they are poorly labelled. It is definitely single stage enamel (in both the cans and aerosols) and they do describe it as a synthetic enamel. Looking at the ingredients listing I strongly suspect it is an alkyd, and not an acrylic. When I first started farming I came back with some automotive paint products I had used at work ( pre-1981) and I had some synthetic enamel hardeners that would work with the OEM tractor paints at that time. Those were made for RM synthetic enamels that have long since been discontinued so you probably won't find those hardeners anymore. I strongly recommend using the additives of the same brand as the paint. If you do play around, experiment with small amounts as not all product lines play well together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.