Metal Lathe - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 01:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
I would not want to be without the lathe in the shop. Granted it does not get used as much as it should, but it really comes in handy when down time is critical. Mine is a McDougall from the War Era. 20 x 72, so if you feel like horsing the top roller from the combine pickup into this beast, you can. (Done it once.)

A word of advice,...Never place the 4 jaw chuck into the 3 jaw chuck to save time. Remove the 3 jaw and install the 4 jaw properly. Was drilling through a piece of tool steel, Octagonal and when the drill pushed through it pulled the 4 jaw loose from the 3 jaw. even at 300 RPM that 4 jaw can cover a lot of ground!!! Good thing I was beside the tail stock and not the chuck.

Living the dream,......one bushel at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2 View Post
I would not want to be without the lathe in the shop. Granted it does not get used as much as it should, but it really comes in handy when down time is critical. Mine is a McDougall from the War Era. 20 x 72, so if you feel like horsing the top roller from the combine pickup into this beast, you can. (Done it once.)

A word of advice,...Never place the 4 jaw chuck into the 3 jaw chuck to save time. Remove the 3 jaw and install the 4 jaw properly. Was drilling through a piece of tool steel, Octagonal and when the drill pushed through it pulled the 4 jaw loose from the 3 jaw. even at 300 RPM that 4 jaw can cover a lot of ground!!! Good thing I was beside the tail stock and not the chuck.
That lathe must be the big sibling to mine! It's also a McDougall, but 20x46.

Andrew

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-01-21 - Overall.jpg (756.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-01-21 - Headstock.jpg (509.1 KB, 45 views)
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I have old turret lathe. 12,500lbs. only thing is for finish aluminum the head speed isn't quite there. but big bore through the head makes fixing shafts nice. beast of a machine so it is very accurate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 154.JPG (140.3 KB, 79 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
We have several lathes, all of them aged before WWII. We picked up an old South Bend (9in swing 5ft bed) in really good shape at an estate sale for a few hundred and we purchased an 1890's era 14in 8ft lathe that was really tight for about 500 bucks at a garage auction. The thing was covered in grease and no one really knew how to operate it so it basically sold at the opening price. We also bought a completely restored camel back drill press for waaaaay less that you could buy an industrial new one. We do a fair bit of machining on our farm and almost all forms of equipment maintenance. However we have to look for stuff on a budget. Keep an eye on the internet and auctions. Not a lot of people know how to use these things and thus they often sell good quality older stuff cheaper. Oh, and if you find a crappy lathe with a ton of good quality tooling buy it, throw the lathe away, and take the tooling.

"Never deliberately make an enemy in life, you'll make plenty by accident." Abraham Lincoln
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Te big thig on a used lathe is the capabiliy to do metric threads. MOre and more equipment is becoming metric. I have a chinese 14 X 40 and it has been good just not heavy enough. There is 3 gears of Chinese lathes and the only way to tell the difference is to look at the head gears. There is 3 that they use; fiber steel and hardened steel gears. For the heavy things I have an old WWII lathe that is 27 X 96 and weighs around 16,000 pounds. Like a lot of people have said on here is that usually the tooling is worth more than the lathe. It will help you make your decision also if you take a course or 2 on operating a lathe and get the idea of what you want to be able to do on it. I hardly ever us a 3 jaw chuck as they are more for production and with the 4 jaw chuck you can center a shaft up.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergy View Post
I only have single phase power.
Hello Fergy
Don't be afraid of buying a 3 phase machine, you can always run a rotary phase converter. If you plan on buying a lathe of some size, chances are that it will be 3 phase. 3 phase motors are cheaper to buy than a single phase of the same HP. Rotary phase converters are relatively cheap, simple devices. Heck, many (with a little electrical savvy) have built their own for their home shops. Keep an eye out for the volts though too. A lot of bigger machines will be wired for more than 220 volts. But again, not the end of the world. A guy can run a step down transformer, just adds extra cost though. I had a guy that used to own an electrical shop build me a rotary phase converter out of a 3 phase motor that I provided him with. Then I already had it for when I bought my milling machine & bandsaw, which are also 3 phase.
Transaxial likes this.

Thank You
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCatSHF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcow View Post
I have old turret lathe. 12,500lbs. only thing is for finish aluminum the head speed isn't quite there. but big bore through the head makes fixing shafts nice. beast of a machine so it is very accurate.
Yes, I find that putting a nice finish on aluminum (or bronze/brass for that matter) is very difficult!

I had a look at a turret lathe once, but didn't know if it would work for me as I do probably 25%ish longer material (shafts, etc). For close up chuck work (bushings, adapters, etc) it would be nice though! It was a smaller one too though. I think 12"x18" useable bed???

Andrew
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcow View Post
That's quite a lathe!! What is the through head diameter? Looks big enough for most modern farm equipment requirements.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 582 Post(s)
A vfd works good on a lathe. Take a look at practical machinist if pursuing the vfd idea. Works best on 200 series volts' You can have a phase converter, speed control, overload, forward, reverse, etc in 1 package
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I think its close to 3".

its at another shop now. waiting to get some concrete poured this fall at home to bring it home.

big machining equipment like that lathe are great values, no one wants them. take a nice 10-36 lathe to an auction next to a little clausing drill press and old bridge port mill. you will have some good bidding going on. take that turret lathe to an auction and people will bid it up to scrap value.

Last edited by madcow; 03-13-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page