macdon on a deere? - Page 2 - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
We're still talking about putting the "972" on the Deere right?

What is the rpm and direction of rotation on the disk head motor? Usually whenever one states the rotation of a shaft, it is when facing the end of the shaft. So if the MacDon head has a pto that spins "counter clockwise", and if you have a hydraulic motor that spins counter clockwise, they will not work when putting them together. You need one of each when facing the end of the shaft.

The rpm of the motor is not too awefull important as long as it is reasonably close to the MacDon pto speed as the cutter drive speed can be adjusted with pulley/belt combinations.

With the high amount of hp you have on the Deere chassis, you might take a look at some of the older Gleaner combine headers for ideas to run the draper and reel motors. They were a self contained header complete with a reservoir and pump on the header.

If the diskbine motor has as much power as it should have, even though it is not very efficient to run a fluid pump with a fluid motor, as in using the Gleaner head concept, you will have so much hp sitting idle on the Deere anyway, it should not matter in this situation if there is a little loss in efficiency. If the concept works out so well that you start taking orders for dozens of conversions, then you might come up with a more efficient means.

Often there is a trade off or two that has to be dealt with when mounting another manufacturers equipment on a chassis, like header positioning. "If", the 972 has to be positioned forward a bit to get the clearances you need for the arms and tires, the fluid power drive will accommodate that. The trade off there is that you may be seeing less of the cutter bar and more of the crop exit. But IMO, that would be just fine in most situations. The Deere chassis should have plenty enough counterweight to carry the MacDon even mounted a bit further forward.

If you do take on this project, is there any way you might be willing to take pictures and share them here? Please?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 11:44 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4526 Post(s)
A 972 is a mechanically driven knife.

Don

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
tc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
thanks for the gleaner setup heads up. hope it works simplerthen that. gleaner have electric over hyd? the excess hp of jd tractor should allow alot of leway. the reel speed and lift/lower are the only hyd needs of the 972 so 4995 motor replaces the pto shaft of 9352macdon right?... does the 4995 have aux. hyds ? side note; i don't think you can see the knife on a honeybee no matter what tractor is behind it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am embarassed to say that I cannot remember exactly, but we had a 4895 with what I am pretty sure was a 972 header. Unfortunately I don't have pics of the arms, but they picked up that header no problems, and the knife was easily visible form the cab. Performed really well actually, just wasn't wide enough to cover the ground in the end. We all loved operating it. Just sipped the fuel too with that little 4 cylinder popping away through the straight through pipe.

Machine was originally imported from North America somewhere I am pretty sure. From what I remember had an aftermarket hyd pump fitted, and pinched some flow to run reel and drapers through elctric over hydraulic flow control in cab.

Hope this helps, maybe I just confused things?

092.JPG

091.JPG
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
A 972 is a mechanically driven knife.

Don
Only until you stick a hydro motor on the end of that mechanical drive system. I think that's what doorknob was getting at.

Bruce

And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise, and said "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by westaus View Post
I am embarassed to say that I cannot remember exactly, but we had a 4895 with what I am pretty sure was a 972 header. Unfortunately I don't have pics of the arms, but they picked up that header no problems, and the knife was easily visible form the cab. Performed really well actually, just wasn't wide enough to cover the ground in the end. We all loved operating it. Just sipped the fuel too with that little 4 cylinder popping away through the straight through pipe.

Machine was originally imported from North America somewhere I am pretty sure. From what I remember had an aftermarket hyd pump fitted, and pinched some flow to run reel and drapers through elctric over hydraulic flow control in cab.

Hope this helps, maybe I just confused things?

Attachment 925

Attachment 926
Did you spray with it too? I see something looking like a sprayer setup on it.

Bruce

And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise, and said "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
tc

Thumbs up wow

this fourm never ceases to amaze me! Someone dreams of doing something and someone else sends them a picture of it! Not a attack on "nah sayers"(?) but... never say never, especially to a farmer. Westaus you know anymore about it? need to find out if it was macdons doing or a homerig. anything else you can remember? did this mounting still allow the rollback of the header angle when lowered on to ground? any more pics? anyone else seen one or know of where one sits? Thankyou for speaking up westaus.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
tc

talked to macdon in winnipeg just now. they did not make an adapter but had a few people question and attempt this. wonder if macdon on your island westaus, knows of a adapter? must be homegrowen. I was also wondering about the sprayer attachment!
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Funny thing is we didn't know any better, thought it was a pretty standard setup. It didnt have an adapter as such. Wish I had a better photo for you. There was a hydromotor (quite large) bolted to the end of the drive shaft with a coupler. The arms of the tractor unit just slid straight into the u channel where the Macdon adaptor would normally bolt up. Maybe the arms were modifoed?

The spray line is setup on the header to apply herbicide to any surviving weeds. The nozzles on the tractor unit are just there because it was no convenient place at that position for them on the header. The sprayline is not uncommon here in WA.

As I mentioned, we purchased the unit form an importer, so it is not an Australian thing to put the 972 on the 4895. The electrohydraulic proportional valve for the draper and reel speed was located behind the access door just behind the cab as you walk in.

Wish I could be of more help.

EDIT: Just remembered a couple more things. If you had the tilt right back (it was hydraulic) and lifted the header right up it was possible for hydromotor on drive shaft to contact windscreen. Also, the header trailer had to be made quite low because there was not a lot of lift height.

Last edited by westaus; 04-05-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page