Penetrating fluid pump into grease zerks - The Combine Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
les

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Penetrating fluid pump into grease zerks

Was wondering what guys are using for high pressure penetrating fluid into grease zerks to free up solidified grease and dirt? Even just loosen it up for later greasing. I know there is the ones you hit with a hammer, and yes we have one and they do work but there has to be a better way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 01:22 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2667 Post(s)
I use the hammer style thing with brake cleaner, if that don't work I remove the zerk, dig as much as possible out and clean with brake cleaner. Then put a new zerk in and grease it like it's going out of style.

If you have a lot of problems with them plugging up you are likely using a grease with a high clay content.

chance2, 8700 and scottyheps like this.

God Bless America
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
i use a Ac flush canister used for AC systems,fill with brake kleen and screw a grease hose into the threaded hole and put air to it and leave it . After ten minutes if not blown through I take the joint with a hammer and it ususaly goes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFarmService View Post
I use the hammer style thing with brake cleaner, if that don't work I remove the zerk, dig as much as possible out and clean with brake cleaner. Then put a new zerk in and grease it like it's going out of style.

If you have a lot of problems with them plugging up you are likely using a grease with a high clay content.
X2

I was having issues with this and switched from a moly base grease to a lithium base and my problems with dried out grease all but went away. Turns out it was the clay in the moly grease setting up when the oil gone.
Haystack, shmiffy and 8700 like this.

Dan
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Agreed with using good grease too. I just got a couple of these.
Univer-co
It seems to work well for busting hard zirks using a air greaser. Tried it on the loader on a couple that had a hard time taking grease. It stayed on and the air greaser cleaned them up.

You get what you put in and people get what the deserve. - Kid Rock

The more seriously you take things, the harder the rules become.

If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Not very user safe, but a greace coupler on a porta power unit will put 10000 lbs of trans fluid on fitting
nig71 and Beerwiser like this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
That is a great idea stevie, and while I am at it I will put all my safety guards back on. That is if I can find them.

You get what you put in and people get what the deserve. - Kid Rock

The more seriously you take things, the harder the rules become.

If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie View Post
Not very user safe, but a greace coupler on a porta power unit will put 10000 lbs of trans fluid on fitting
I have this setup bit and have a four jaw clasp that positively attaches to the nipple to reduce leakage.

Surely His goodness and mercy will pursue me all the days of my life.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
I have used the ports power pump as well. I usually just screw a hose in as it’s usually 1/8” pipe zerks I have problems with
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerwiser View Post
Agreed with using good grease too. I just got a couple of these.
Univer-co
It seems to work well for busting hard zirks using a air greaser. Tried it on the loader on a couple that had a hard time taking grease. It stayed on and the air greaser cleaned them up.
I have one of those lock on grease couplers and it didn't last very long. IIRC only a couple cartridges and it quit working, the collar would no longer engage. I have also used one of these https://locknlube.com/ and it works very well, just had to take it apart to clean the jaws a couple times (once about every couple hundred cartridges). The only issue with it, and the reason I bought one of the Univer-co ones is that the locknlube is somewhat large and struggles to fit in some tight places. Regarding using "good grease", another important (perhaps even MORE important) consideration when choosing grease is compatibility. When you find a grease you like, stay with it. If you choose to change, make sure that your new grease is compatible with the old grease. I learned this (like most things) the hard way. I was hauling water for my brother and I ran out of grease for the pump (must be greased every load). He gave me a couple tubes of the grease he used and the very first time i tried to grease the pump, I got a couple pumps in and it would not take any more grease (the pump has grease lines about 12-15" long). No matter how hard I tried i could not get the pump to take any grease after that. When I got home, I took the grease lines off and tried to pump grease through them and could not get SANY grease to go through them. I had to boil them in a pot of water and then try and still with much effort, was able to get the grease gun to push the solidified grease out of the lines. The type of grease that I used was not compatible with the type of grease that my brother used even though they were both high quality grease and they somehow reacted with one another. That was the first I had heard of different greases not being compatible. When the grease that I was using (shell....something) became no longer available, before choosing a replacement I checked with shell on compatibility and the one that replaced the one i was using was NOT compatible and, if I wanted to use the new replacement grease i was told I would have to use a different grease that was compatible with both in between to clear out the old before starting the new. I just switched to the compatible one and stayed with it. I guess grease is lime crop chemicals, they are not all tank-mixable and some can have negative chemical reactions if you try.

bob123 and chance2 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page