Prefilling filters - The Combine Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2467 Post(s)
Prefilling filters

Do you pre-fill oil filters? Some say it causes more contamination then problems associated with being empty.

Diesel same thing - but you have to fill them, so do you use a filtered source to fill them? Or plug the center and fill from the outside of element?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Oil filters no mainly because buy the time you get them on you end up wearing most of the oil. Fuel yes if it's possible to do. Use a clean supply from shop.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Oil filters no. I change my oil when the engine is hot and there is plenty of oil on the bearings and other surfaces on start up. Fuel filters yes (except on the sprayer as it has an electric fuel pump and will fill them for me for start up). On my trucks, I pre-fill the fuel filters with 2 stroke oil because it is clean right out of a freshly opened bottle. My brother, who is a HD mechanic for 30 years, fills his fuel filters with ATF. I prefer 2 stroke as it is designed to be burned where ATF is not and ATF is high in detergents. Opportunity for contamination is too high filling with diesel fuel IMO because of it's bulk handling. You could use 1 or 4 litre bottles of kerosene though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Absolutley. The same oil that is being poured in the engine goes down the center of the filter. If you wipe off your pail or have a clean source of oil and do it your self instead of having a carless person do it how could it do anything but good.
bfl2008 and RunninREDharD like this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Typically I don't fill oil filters with oil and for that reason of an awkward filter location and spilling as a large oil filter filled with oil is a heavy brute to hang onto and get threaded on, and if it was such an issue with oil starvation there would have been all sorts of problems through the years with blown engines as a result of damaged bearings. Cold weather and oil not suited viscosity wise for the conditions is something to be far more concerned about.

Diesel filters, yes if I can put fuel into the filter I will and from a filtered supply before installing. In some cases its an absolute must do since some engines have no way of manually priming or being able to crank and replenish the filter. Again there are situation with awkward filter locations that I spin it on empty and then rely on the manual primer or in the case of an electric primer helper pump ( JD 9600 combine for example ) to fill the filter for me as I manually prime as well ... do all one can before ever turning that key to crank the engine as I've regretted the few times I didn't do this and struggled and struggled to get the engine started.
tswanson likes this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Yes. I fill it up to a level that won't spill when installing. Usually throw a magnet on the side too. Quite cheap and harmless if it works or not.

Diesel I fill out of a filtered service tank.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
If your prefill them pour the oil in the outside holes, it takes patience but that way the oil gets filtered. I usually only prefill the monster oil filters on the 13.5L engine. I have so many engines that use a cartridge style filter that you can't prefill so I don't think it matters all that much.
BrianTee likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsigg View Post
If your prefill them pour the oil in the outside holes, it takes patience but that way the oil gets filtered. I usually only prefill the monster oil filters on the 13.5L engine. I have so many engines that use a cartridge style filter that you can't prefill so I don't think it matters all that much.
Whoever came up with those cartridge style filters are f**king aholes. Gotta pay CNH 100$ for the oil filter cartridge now instead of 30 bucks for the fleetguard or whatever.
bauerr, BrianTee, SWMan and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Cartridge filters used to be popular. Then everybody switched in the late 60s-early70s to canister. And now back again.... haha
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
With a cat you put the filter on and use the prime pump to fill the filter. New cummins come with a plug for the Center of the filter so when fill them with diesel it goes in the outside of the filter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page