How to mark tools so you know where they belong? - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 02:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Good stamps will mark Gray and S-K wrenches. I marked mine when I worked winters in the bush back in the 1970's, and can still read them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 02:21 AM
John Force - Legend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Itís a bit extravagant but I guess you could get anything without plastic handles powder coated.

The right sort of spot weld or mark with a flappy disc isnít going to grab your hands.

Square box........
Round pizza.......
Triangle pieces....

Iam confused......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
The Mark you need to make is a bruise on the forehead of whoever doesn't put it back where they took it from! Tools not being put back drives me insane!
Macfarms17 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Buy more tools -- an older neighbor had several sons that liked to work on their own stuff in his big garage and they were always loosing wrenches so when down in palm springs one year he came across someone who was selling bulk wrenches at a flea market so he bought a box of 250 wrenches of the most popular sizes that his sons were loosing ( 1/2, 9/16 , 3/4" ) . A year later he was out of wrenches again but if you looked around the yard and in the grass along the road you could find lots of rusty once used wrenches of that certain sizes . So putting them back is probably the best idea for keeping track of your sets .
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 09:25 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4634 Post(s)
Is it just me or are tool markings getting smaller as my eyes get older?
whtbaron likes this.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 997 Post(s)
When I was running multiple trucks up north in the winter, I painted all of the tools (as well as the cam locks on the hoses)to correspond with the truck they belonged on, green on the green truck, blue for the blue truck, red for the maroon truck. This served two purposes. the main purpose was so that when the trucks came home in the spring, one driver couldn't take a tool or hose off another truck if he lost one and claim that it was his and two, whenever I saw painted tool in the shop, I know where it belonged (what you are faced with). Paint will work on almost everything. I have painted wrenches that have been inservice for over ten years and are still coloured enough to recognize at a glance. Sockets might be more challenging as they are quite smooth and paint may not want to stay. However, while time consuming, you could chuck each one in a lathe and run a groove around the base to hold the paint. If you don't have a lathe, a drill press and file would work or even just a small notch with a zip cut. Just something where the paint can adhere and wouldn't be subjected to rubbing.
CSchraefel likes this.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
When I was a kid my dad painted all of his tools bright yellow so he could spot them when he lost them in the field. 30 years later I still see his tools and have found several of them in the field. He always seemed to leave a few on the frame of his equipment.
Combine Pilot likes this.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
Is it just me or are tool markings getting smaller as my eyes get older?
Lol, you are not alone. I have noticed some stamped numbers are smaller and not as deep so they are less visible on the newer ones than what used to be on older tools and brands. What I really hate is how some instead of stamped or etched numbers, they use a painted one instead. An example is Jet impact sockets that are like this, and after years of use on the popular ones it has been worn off, can be a PITA for sure.

I can only imagine what a mess things could be with employees who don't care enough to put things back where they belong, never worked in any environment where that was tolerated.
I will say that welding or grinding on most tools will void the warranty and even engraving them really reduces their resale. Anyone who has ever bought any high end used stuff of a tool truck that is marked can attest to that. Probably a splash of paint on them would be best IMO.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
so what works on sockets?

Thinking that the colored cable tie or colored electrical tape will fall off. Spots of weld or notch with grinder would catch your hand all the time when using the sockets, would they not?

I already have the tools, so don't really want to buy a different set. Yes part of the problem is that some tools end up in tractors and grain trucks as well and then later nobody can remember where it belongs.

Some great ideas, keep them coming.
Good point about sockets, we put chrome in one spot and impact in another so we never bothered taping them. It may still work. When I put electrical tape on our wrenches I used a lighter to melt any ragged edges.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
What about acetylene torch the chrome blue, but if done too much my soften metal. then i thought does gunblue work on chrome. Other than that i would uses a course flapper wheel and spot grind and apply a good tremclad oil based paint to the abrasion. sockets right on the back on the face with the square drive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page