The Combine Forum

The Combine Forum (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/)
-   Fabrication and DIY Repair (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/64-fabrication-diy-repair/)
-   -   How to mark tools so you know where they belong? (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/64-fabrication-diy-repair/329085-how-mark-tools-so-you-know-where-they-belong.html)

Twix 10-04-2018 05:53 PM

How to mark tools so you know where they belong?

Keep getting the tools in my service truck mixed up with the tools in the shop. Need a good way to mark the tools so they get put back where they belong. Have 3-4 users of these tools.

Thought of paint, but the grease and penetrating oil will wash it off the wrenches and sockets.
Stamp in a Letter or? Not sure you can stamp hardened sockets and wrenches though?
Engrave?

Looking for easy fool proof ideas.

Thanks

meskie 10-04-2018 05:57 PM

Buy different brands.

I’ve seen guys put thin pinstripe around their tools when I was in school. I engraved mine but you have to be careful cause they may void warranty.

adsinaus 10-04-2018 06:01 PM

Cable ties cut/trimmed around the handle and/or sockets?

Can be tightened where they don’t get in the way and cutoff/replaced if using on really difficult to acces jobs

iksn 10-04-2018 06:10 PM

We have the same problem. What we are trying right now is different coloured electrical tape. Just do a wrap around the middle of the wrench. Not sure how it’s going to last, but it was cheap, quick and easy to do.

marshall 10-04-2018 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iksn (Post 3279805)
We have the same problem. What we are trying right now is different coloured electrical tape. Just do a wrap around the middle of the wrench. Not sure how itís going to last, but it was cheap, quick and easy to do.

I think that you have a good idea . Another thing you could doo is to dip the handles of the ratchets and pliers in different colour plastic dip for wrenches . But buying different brands of tools for the different machines is mainly what I doo as I can't afford snap on for the tractor !! Canadian tire or princess auto when on sale usually make the grade . Another thing is to have the wrenches in roll up pouches to keep everything in order and to know that you are short a wrench after fixing something and sockets in a box set .

Macfarms17 10-04-2018 09:53 PM

I've used the electrical tape idea and it works really well, especially for differentiating metric/standard tools at a quick glance.

One thing I did when I bought my first set of nice tools was to engrave them, and then inset some paint in the engraving. Takes some time, but man it looks sharp and the paint last for much longer.

phantom970 10-04-2018 10:18 PM

A spot or two of MIG weld on all tools say for the shop.

Or a couple of grinder marks in an easy to see place.

I have done this before to keep tools together, and it makes would be tool thief’s look embarrassed when arguing over who’s is who’s

SWFarmService 10-04-2018 11:19 PM

Buy more tools!
Problem always starts because you are short something in one or the other but if both have the proper tools they will continue to move around.

I dont have this problem with the shop but from the truck to a pickup or tractor. My problem is the pickups and some tractors are not properly equipped with enough basic tools.

Twix 10-04-2018 11:48 PM

so what works on sockets?

Thinking that the colored cable tie or colored electrical tape will fall off. Spots of weld or notch with grinder would catch your hand all the time when using the sockets, would they not?

I already have the tools, so don't really want to buy a different set. Yes part of the problem is that some tools end up in tractors and grain trucks as well and then later nobody can remember where it belongs.

Some great ideas, keep them coming.

SWFarmService 10-05-2018 12:52 AM

One thing that helps make it easy to know if some tools are missing is that we have two montezuma (think spelling is close) tool boxes in the truck.
They are unquestionably the most organized tool box you can have on a service rig and if your service rig goes down its easy to move them.