How to mark tools so you know where they belong? - The Combine Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
How to mark tools so you know where they belong?

Keep getting the tools in my service truck mixed up with the tools in the shop. Need a good way to mark the tools so they get put back where they belong. Have 3-4 users of these tools.

Thought of paint, but the grease and penetrating oil will wash it off the wrenches and sockets.
Stamp in a Letter or? Not sure you can stamp hardened sockets and wrenches though?
Engrave?

Looking for easy fool proof ideas.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Buy different brands.

I’ve seen guys put thin pinstripe around their tools when I was in school. I engraved mine but you have to be careful cause they may void warranty.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Cable ties cut/trimmed around the handle and/or sockets?

Can be tightened where they don’t get in the way and cutoff/replaced if using on really difficult to acces jobs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
We have the same problem. What we are trying right now is different coloured electrical tape. Just do a wrap around the middle of the wrench. Not sure how it’s going to last, but it was cheap, quick and easy to do.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iksn View Post
We have the same problem. What we are trying right now is different coloured electrical tape. Just do a wrap around the middle of the wrench. Not sure how itís going to last, but it was cheap, quick and easy to do.
I think that you have a good idea . Another thing you could doo is to dip the handles of the ratchets and pliers in different colour plastic dip for wrenches . But buying different brands of tools for the different machines is mainly what I doo as I can't afford snap on for the tractor !! Canadian tire or princess auto when on sale usually make the grade . Another thing is to have the wrenches in roll up pouches to keep everything in order and to know that you are short a wrench after fixing something and sockets in a box set .
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I've used the electrical tape idea and it works really well, especially for differentiating metric/standard tools at a quick glance.

One thing I did when I bought my first set of nice tools was to engrave them, and then inset some paint in the engraving. Takes some time, but man it looks sharp and the paint last for much longer.
quappelle likes this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 10:18 PM
John Force - Legend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
A spot or two of MIG weld on all tools say for the shop.

Or a couple of grinder marks in an easy to see place.

I have done this before to keep tools together, and it makes would be tool thief’s look embarrassed when arguing over who’s is who’s

Square box........
Round pizza.......
Triangle pieces....

Iam confused......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Buy more tools!
Problem always starts because you are short something in one or the other but if both have the proper tools they will continue to move around.

I dont have this problem with the shop but from the truck to a pickup or tractor. My problem is the pickups and some tractors are not properly equipped with enough basic tools.
Grainline likes this.

God Bless America
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
so what works on sockets?

Thinking that the colored cable tie or colored electrical tape will fall off. Spots of weld or notch with grinder would catch your hand all the time when using the sockets, would they not?

I already have the tools, so don't really want to buy a different set. Yes part of the problem is that some tools end up in tractors and grain trucks as well and then later nobody can remember where it belongs.

Some great ideas, keep them coming.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
One thing that helps make it easy to know if some tools are missing is that we have two montezuma (think spelling is close) tool boxes in the truck.
They are unquestionably the most organized tool box you can have on a service rig and if your service rig goes down its easy to move them.

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page