General purpose grease - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 01:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Just curious then if you have used it in auto slack adjusters for a period of years and if your slacks still adjust or if you have noticed they are not adjusting up like they should. I would have to find the info on the auto slacks but its very specific from them that it "may" cause the adjuster not to adjust properly as the clutch system may not ratchet properly, which obviously doesn't mean it's a guarantee it won't. And what is the speed of the so called high speed bearing, that is a very good question as I've not personally seen an actual explanation on what speed that is as after all surface speed of a larger slower running bearing could very well be the same or faster as a small fast turning bearing. All moly grease isn't the same either, some contains a smaller percentage and some contain a fairly high percentage because its geared around a severe type application ( another words probably not meant for bearing but more for bushings/pins and a classic example is fifth wheel plates ).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 02:10 AM
bap

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Well thats a **** of a good question and I think it lies at the current state of the art...all any of us can go by is what we have been taught and what we see...therefore I would ask the same question...

post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 02:41 AM
bap

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
And I apologize fro using bad language at christmas not my style...I have no defence but to post rather than trying to delete a post...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
All I see is twinkling stars bap !.

Grease, if it was simple there would only be one grease for every application but that is why there are so many choices. Certainly can make it hard to know what is the best and the problem is that its hard enough to get things greased ( read, serviced ) and not be chasing various grease guns with their respective grease types and then if others are doing the greasing, how to instruct them as to what each component should be greased with. It would drive a person bonkers quite honestly.

Well I better hit the hay myself as otherwise Santa won't come
bap likes this.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Barn
We just hammer everything full of the green johndeere stuff.... havnt seen a problem with it.

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Our moly grease has always been a good quality lithium based grease. Maybe that is why it works well? We used to buy it and special order it in from a Massey Ferguson dealer. At one time, they stocked it. Now we look for cheaper suppliers! Here are the examples of what we have bought! I haven't noticed any issues with slack adjusters not ratcheting. That might be because I don't have to brake a lot where I drive. Our last grain trailer has over 100000 kms from new and we haven't needed to do any brake work yet. The brakes look in very good condition. I admit I only truck for ourselves and don't do any custom work - so doesn't see a lot of use! I believe the trailer is 2009.

Massey Ferguson
®
Moly
EP-2 (Extreme Pressure) Lithium II Grease

Mobilux EP 2 Moly

It is not What you know, it is WHO you know that counts! Currency is a UNIT of debt - not value!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RunninREDharD; 12-25-2018 at 12:50 PM.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
We used to to use an ultra tacky moly on high pressure pins when we were doing construction and forestry and we’d never use that grease in a high speed bearing.

The two loads are entirely different. Can probably get away with one middle of the road grease at some sacrifice. The optimum grease for a high pressure pin isn’t for a high speed bearing and vice versa.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Running redhard we use a similar moly grease. The lithium EP2 from Petro Canada. For high speed bearings on our Combine we just use a straight Lithium grease.
RunninREDharD likes this.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
The main thing about moly in high load pins and bushings is that when dirt gets in and the grease leaves a film of solid moly stays behind and continues to lubricate. That's what it's designed to do. Think of a dry graphite powder lube. Molybdenum disulfide is a solid additive. The main thing about a high speed bearing in a motor or alternator is that it needs a lower viscosity grease. Synthetic grease excels in low viscosity lubrication. The one I mentioned is one of the only ones with a low enough viscosity to be pushed through the long lines of an auto greasing system. Moly in a grease makes it high tack and high viscosity. Low viscosity moly grease doesn't exist. Two different greases two different jobs. Think about how those little rollers or balls feel running around fast waist deep in molasses instead of ankle deep in water. Would you use hydraulic fluid in your diesel engine crankcase? 15W40 in your auto transmission? Another grease gun is $30. Another combine is half a million. Your call.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 08:49 PM
CJS

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Chances are if u used 15 40 in everything from hydraulics trans to diffs you d be just fine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page