Antifreeze maintenance - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland View Post
I would be careful about using RO water to mix with antifreeze. If you talk to commercial plumbers they say that You can not use a steel tank for RO water. It is so pure that it will pull the molecules out of the steel and it will soon be leaking. I used it in a tractor after I put a new rad in it and 4 years later I had to put another new rad in so I think there may be something to the theory

I am going to totally disagree.
For many years the standard recommendation for mixing antifreeze has been distilled water.
It is the minerals in well water that kill cooling systems, in particular radiators.

kenmb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Reverse osmosis and distilled are two different things. Not sure about which would be better for cooling systems though.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2415 Post(s)
Just as long as it doesn't have minerals, any water is fine. Mixing with antifreeze so corrosion is not an issue. Changing it is more important then the water used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainviewTruck View Post
It's not a disaster to mix OAT and conventional coolant, but it's not recommended. Essentially you revert to the lowest common denominator, which is conventional, which requires regular testing and maintenance at a minimum, and replacement more often than ELC.
Thanks for that, I don't have any with it in, buddy was telling me about it, according to him mixing the two resulted in a cottage cheese effect, but we all know sometimes "the buddy" is an idiot.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Every once in a while I can remember something useful, but often have to learn it all over again!

https://www.thecombineforum.com/foru...ntifreeze.html
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
I use water out of the de-humidifier in the house, that stuff should be pretty pure?

Pretty sure I have 4 different types of coolant on the farm, sure wish they would standardize things and leave them alone...
tswanson likes this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:27 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4578 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
Just as long as it doesn't have minerals, any water is fine.
Always thought that premix antifreeze just contained really expensive water.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I got the strips and additive from Fort Garry in Saskatoon.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
I put in what the manufacture recommends. I have a few varieties around. In my older stuff I simply use "use in all" type coolant. Do make sure you use heavy duty diesel coolant in diesels. Change coolant filter as recommended also. I have install coolant filters on my diesel pickups. If you want to get 10,000 hours coolant is important to not neglect.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Thanks Haystack, that thread link was good. I believe there was another one where guys posted about doing complete drains and flushes to change from green to ELC and such so covered more ground. Regardless, things I never considered came to light in past posts.

I talked with a radiator shop last week and the recommendation was drain every 3 years. Seemed an unbiased source of info and we had talked about test strips. I wasn't really confident that simply changing every 3 years was an informed approach to maintenance so figured a good time to raise the topic here.

I will get some test strips and go that route. Napa lists them on line so should be able to track some down. I understand they have expiry dates so buying one pack of 50 is not necessarily the right way to go. I've changed the coolant filter once on the NTC 350 and is something I should do again so will test and then figure out how much DCA may be needed and choose the replacement filter accordingly. I will have to check on age of filter on the QSX and plan from there.

I can't see RO water being a problem. As mentioned already the issue to avoid is well water high in mineral content. The ultimate solution is distilled water. But 50 years ago RO water wasn't in people's homes. Distilled would be best but RO would be a close second in my view. I know my well water would not be a good choice. In my mind the premix route just saves a guy from having to think one more step through about which water source he goes to.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page