Antifreeze maintenance - The Combine Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Antifreeze maintenance

There was a good thread on this a year or two ago that I can't find right now to refresh my memory.

Changing coolant is something I have never done. It gets done as part of another repair process like water pump replacement. And so not much thought is put into things at the time.

I have a QSX15 with 4200 hrs here that should probably be done. Tractor was bought used a few years back and dealer changed all fluids but have no idea if that included the cooling system. Also have a 1976 NTC 350 in truck that gets topped up now and then.

Both run green antifreeze and phoning around I can get Nemco or Turbo brand at heavy truck parts centers. I was looking at concentrate as I get 5 gallon bottles of RO water at those places that sell water cooler water. That water I use in cooling systems and topping up my in floor heat systems.

The thread I am thinking of had a lot of good info in it so is there anything a guy needs to know about doing a simple coolant change with green to green? Does brand really matter if it is labelled heavy duty diesel?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Go and get the test strips and they’ll tell you if you need to change the fluid. Or you could just add the treatment according to the test strips and not change the fluid.

post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Yes the test strips are good but no one had any last time I went looking.
If in doubt buy the antifreeze with the dca4 already in it.
Think Rocky Mountain has that stuff in bulk, fill your own jugs.
Then if you need a coolant filter get the plain filter or lowest units possible.
At least then you know you started at the proper level.
Transaxial likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Agreed! I tend to just keep DCA and PH in range and if the green antifreeze is clear, keep using it until a major engine or radiator replacement.
SouthernSK likes this.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
I don't think any of the ag or off-road manufacturers are using extended-life coolant technology yet, from what I remember they are mostly still using conventional ethylene glycol antifreeze with various different additive packages for corrosion inhibitors. Whether you buy green concentrate, or purple pre-mixed, or John Deere-branded or CNH-branded coolant, chances are very good it's all the same technology, just different labels and possibly different colors. Your NTC and QSX should both have need-release filters installed, Fleetguard p/n WF2071 or WF4071 (one has two units of additive, the other has four). If you do a complete drain, flush, and re-fill with pre-charged conventional coolant, you should only have to spin on a WF2071, and use the strips once a year to maintain coolant pH and nitrite and/or borate levels (being the active corrosion inhibitors). I use an optical tester (refractometer) rather than squeeze bulb style tester for measuring freeze point, they aren't terribly expensive but they are infinitely more accurate.

Service and repairs to all makes and sizes of heavy equipment. (403)556-2210
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Barn
Someone smarter than me needs to comment, I've heard you really need to be careful to not mix OAT (I believe) antifreeze with regular antifreeze. I think if it has OAT in it it says so on the cap, apparently it is a disaster if the two are mixed.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
It's not a disaster to mix OAT and conventional coolant, but it's not recommended. Essentially you revert to the lowest common denominator, which is conventional, which requires regular testing and maintenance at a minimum, and replacement more often than ELC.

Service and repairs to all makes and sizes of heavy equipment. (403)556-2210
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would be careful about using RO water to mix with antifreeze. If you talk to commercial plumbers they say that You can not use a steel tank for RO water. It is so pure that it will pull the molecules out of the steel and it will soon be leaking. I used it in a tractor after I put a new rad in it and 4 years later I had to put another new rad in so I think there may be something to the theory
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Who stocks the test strips??
Last time I went looking Rocky Mountain had none New Holland had none and neither did Parkland engine and
they are the Authorized Cummins Dealer.
Saw some online and they were expensive like $50 or something.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
I think I got some at Piston Ring, that was a few years ago though , 5???? Seems to me it was around 50 bucks but there was quite a few in the jar.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page