Best hydraulic fitting to stay tight - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninREDharD View Post

There is absolutely no replacement for a JIC with a metal to metal taperedd seal with a minimal torque applied and they swivel too! Everytime you open an orfs fitting, you should change an o-ring! If you don't, it may leak oil all over you! JIC has no degrading parts other than long time fatigue which all metal has. O-rings have a shelf life.
JIC cannot withstand pressures as high as ORFS especially when getting into larger sizes
ORFS has a longer duty cycle when it comes to connecting and disconnecting. I would rather replace an o-ring than pull the whole line out and replace the crimped fitting
ORFS is much more foregiving than JIC if overtightened
I may have some experience on the last reason...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Well I seldom have anything over 3/4 inch and most components on the farm are 1/2 or less (size 6 to 8) where the point is mute. For vibration and situations where things can loosen up, I would still stick with a JIC. Most times pipe does just fine as well and it is rated much lower. I have had ORFS fail 5 times in the last several years and I have not seen a JIC face seal fail once. I had a JIC fail on a hoist but it was on the crimp and swivel side and due to being overtorqued! I am speaking from experience and I know I had overtightened it. (speaking from experience! However, an ORFS can fail at that very same spot next to the crimp as it has nothing to do with the sealing surface and more to do with how hard the operator pulled the wrench. They may have more meat in their "swivel" and can't comment on that. I do know that you have to be careful with JIC when tightening any connection that has the built in swivel. That is the failure prone spot! They actually don't call for a lot of torque on their connections either!

I think I have 1 1/2" (size 24) ORFS fittings on my NH SP365 suspension system and I have "torqued" the ORFS fitting to a point where it is now making a metal to metal seal! I have lost the oil in the system several times because the "low torque" connections can't take the movement and loosened up. I got frustrated and tighten them as hard as I can so they won't come loose! I am speaking from negative experiences as well!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pressure Rated Fittings.JPG (46.3 KB, 72 views)

It is not What you know, it is WHO you know that counts! Currency is a UNIT of debt - not value!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RunninREDharD; 01-27-2019 at 02:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page