Best hydraulic fitting to stay tight - The Combine Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
brs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Best hydraulic fitting to stay tight

We are in the process of putting hydraulic downpressure on our 1895 deere. So a cylinder on every row in which we need to connect everyone with a hose. What style of spin on fitting stays tight. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
My vote JIC

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
x2 on JIC they are amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsigg View Post
x2 on JIC they are amazing.
JIC is good, AN is better. They are interchangeable, both 37 degree fittings, but AN has more exact tolerances, developed for military. Stands for Army-Navy. Commonly used in performance vehicles now. Brakes and fuel systems.

Can't go wrong with either setup. JIC will be more common
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Why is my memory slipping. We used to set up new air drills at martin deerline in the winter but I can't remember what fittings we used on the conserva pak.
JIC will work just fine for this application although my personal preference is orfs.
Grainline likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
No question JIC.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Barn
Most fittings in a bobcat skidsteer are JIC, I worked on them for years and there isnt much worse of an environment for a fitting with the vibrations and impacts.... if they came loose they were not tightened correctly.

That being said, any fitting if tightened correctly would most likely be fine.

Get parts that are easiest to source off the shelf.... (JIC)

That being said, obviously I'd avoid pipe thread.

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AnviL; 01-25-2019 at 02:04 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Flat face oring fittings are probably about the most reliable fittings and don't have to be over torqued but they are metric and costly. Becoming very common on ag equipment. Cost wise and commonality of fittings makes JIC probably the best pic for this project especially if the cylinders have a npt or ORB port on them.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmich View Post
Flat face oring fittings are probably about the "most reliable fittings " and don't have to be over torqued but they are metric and costly. Becoming very common on ag equipment. Cost wise and commonality of fittings makes JIC probably the best pic for this project especially if the cylinders have a npt or ORB port on them.

JIC x3. I am surprised that flat face o-ring seals even exist as they are an extreme safety hazard, especially in applications where there is vibration and or movement of linkages. They are the most unreliable fitting - even more unreliable than pipe thread! I have had a lot of issues with the larger variety on the suspension system of NH SP360F sprayer. It is a mess when it comes loose, lose your oil and then open to replace the o-ring - POS!

No, they are not really convenient and expensive to boot - never trust. If you don't hold both nuts, the o-ring tears - start over again after leaking oil all over yourself!

They are not environmentally friendly either when you blast out all the oil until you can replace the o-ring to re-initiate integrity - and then you have to have the right size! If they loosen a fraction, the o-ring fails and the load comes crashing down or bleeds down - meanwhile find another o-ring - keep a kit with you where the rubber will eventually deteriorate and age - buy some more! You just can't take a wrench and tighten it, it is finished until the pressure bleeds out or you run out of oil! You just hope you aren't under the truck hoist when that happens!

There is absolutely no replacement for a JIC with a metal to metal taperedd seal with a minimal torque applied and they swivel too! Everytime you open an orfs fitting, you should change an o-ring! If you don't, it may leak oil all over you! JIC has no degrading parts other than long time fatigue which all metal has. O-rings have a shelf life.

It is not What you know, it is WHO you know that counts! Currency is a UNIT of debt - not value!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RunninREDharD; 01-26-2019 at 02:03 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:19 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Anything but pipe.

My preference is flat face o-ring boss.

My reasoning for flat face is it eliminates the need for swivel fittings on traditional o-ring boss.

JIC is very reliable though and one thing is if you want to put stainless pipe wherever possible it it's cheap and easy to get ahold of a good flare tool. Just a little fussy on the cut, it has to be a clean cut and if you dont have the proper tools you will need a pipe cutter

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page