Garbage incinerator - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
I don't understand the fascination with burning stuff. Wasn't there a pretty major fire in Southern AB a couple years back caused by burning garbage?

Should be a municipal/county dump to visit or my preferred method is this.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190112_084738.jpg (350.1 KB, 215 views)

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 12:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtjjl View Post
Built close to home here, friends with these guys. Simple and they work good. Use pallet forks to haul to wherever you empty it.

https://www.cranfieldhoppers.com/?li...aItem-iyj0qsro
I like those steel workbenches in your link.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
I built a cyclone incinerator a few years ago that worked great until it rusted out. The principle is that you limit the oxygen that can reach down into the barrel so that the material ends up gasifying. Then at the top you inject fresh air into the top part of the barrel in a combustion chamber that causes the smoke and air to swirl. It burns extremely cleanly without any smoking at all once it gets going nicely. I got the idea from this commercial unit: https://www.elastec.com/products/por...tors/smartash/. There are lots of links on making your own: https://www.google.com/search?q=cyclone+incinerator

I hope to build a new one sometime out of some heavier steel. Barrels don't last long with this. The secret is a tight seal on the lid, and I think insulating the barrel to keep the heat in will help it burn cleanly all the way to the bottom with a minimum of ash.

Pictures of mine: http://torriefarmprojects.blogspot.c...cinerator.html. Air came from a vacuum cleaner, but bearings don't last long doing this. A leaf blower is too much air. An old light dimmer seems to slow the leaf blower down enough to work pretty well. I have a big old propane tank that we are hoping to convert some day. Probably load the garbage in the side like most incinerators, but then seal up the door as best we can and blow the air in the top in a similar manner.

Last edited by torriem; 03-03-2019 at 12:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
I don't understand the fascination with burning stuff. Wasn't there a pretty major fire in Southern AB a couple years back caused by burning garbage?

Should be a municipal/county dump to visit or my preferred method is this.

I dont have a fascination with burning stuff, infact dad has a case 210 (looks just like yours) he has a pit, but when its -35, wind blowing drifts across the trail to the hole, getting your truck stuck, cant get the effen lighter to work cuz it's so cold, if you dont burn it at the pit the coyotes drag dirty diapers everywhere..... the pit idea sucks.
And the local dump is just as much of a pain in the ass to deal with.
Then you need to have the intelligence NOT to burn your garbage in an open pit on a windy day (even in a contained home built incinerator, burn on a calm day, it's common sense)
Besides who ever fascinated about burning garbage??

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 03:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anvil. My chimney was 1’ square and about 2’ high. I don’t really understand all the requirements for good draft in a chimney so I can’t take credit for how good it worked. Sometimes things just turn out and this one really did. A friend copied mine but used a 5” pipe for a chimney and cut holes in the side near the bottom but it really didn’t work well, at all. Good air flow is the key there, I think. The other thing that wasn’t really part of my design was the fact that, with a big coarse screen like that for a floor, a lot of ash would fall out after it was burnt and just blow away. My burner was heavy but when my loader tractor was nearby I would pick it up with the forks and shake it a bit. Other than unburnable items, you could keep it pretty empty. If there was a bit of wet stuff that didn’t burn, you might get it on the next round One thing that I should’ve mentioned is that my burner sat on bare gravel with no grass or anything close and I was still careful to not burn on dry, windy days With that screen on the bottom there is risk of something dropping out and blowing where you don’t want it Hope yours works good for you!
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnviL View Post
I dont have a fascination with burning stuff, infact dad has a case 210 (looks just like yours) he has a pit, but when its -35, wind blowing drifts across the trail to the hole, getting your truck stuck, cant get the effen lighter to work cuz it's so cold, if you dont burn it at the pit the coyotes drag dirty diapers everywhere..... the pit idea sucks.
And the local dump is just as much of a pain in the ass to deal with.
Then you need to have the intelligence NOT to burn your garbage in an open pit on a windy day (even in a contained home built incinerator, burn on a calm day, it's common sense)
Besides who ever fascinated about burning garbage??
We just have a building or dumpster to store the garbage in when it's like this and the hole is full of snow. If you dig your hole right the coyotes don't climb out! The fascination with burning stuff is more of a pet peeve about some guys who can't keep the matches hidden when it's dry or windy and neighbors have standing crop out. A burn barrel is okay if you are dead certain that it is contained and done when conditions are safe. The idea torriem posted looks pretty interesting because it would get things over with quickly in ideal conditions.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Barn
Yea, there are people who just like to burn things.... my grandparents called them fire bugs.... and they were in fact fire bugs themselves..
I moved on to my grandparents farm, I remember one day me and my wife went to our new old home, just starting to move in and get settled and we get there and there is no body around, and we see a smoldering pile of tree trimmings in the middle of the driveway...... they also liked to burn dead grass in the ditches in the spring.

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Little used motor oil in the fire will take care of diapers.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Put some smoker racks in there and do some garbage flavored sausage lol.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
I a 500 gallon fuel tank that was purchased at an auction for a few dollars. Set on the side and cut a door, and smoke stack. I used to have a raised floor to help it breath and burn better. Found that didn't help and removed it. I am done with diapers now. When used to have plenty and it took some diesel or used oil to burn them. A blower may help enough to do the trick. I dump my burner maybe a couple times per year. After almost 10 years of use, I better start bidding at auctions for another tank. Propane tank would work better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page