Best/worst paint. - The Combine Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Barn
Best/worst paint.

I got inspiration from the post about using a surface mount effluent pump for diesel fuel.
I had a clean 1000 gal tank laying around with plans to build a fuel skid. So I'm doing it!

When its all said and done, to keep the wife happy and the yard looking spiffy... it will get painted white.

So the skid is just made of some drill stem, the tank has a small amount of surface rust... I'm NOT about to sandblast the thing, but will perhaps give it a good blast with the hotsey before painting.

Does anyone have good/bad experiences with different brands of paint?

Do you get what you pay for?

Thanks.

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
I used KBS Rust Seal this winter on a grain trailer frame. Too soon to see how long it lasts except I got a bunch on my hands and it was impossible to get off.....and I tried everything! Took the better part of 2 weeks to wear off. You can get POR15 also.....very similar product. They are industrial paint and and you brush it on. It spreads out nice and doesn't leave brush marks. You can probably get away with one coat. It's about $50 in a 1 litre but that goes a long way......way more than Tremclad. Also you can get a liquid rust etcher to spray on with a squirt bottle first....eats off the orange rust and neutralizes it so the paint sticks better.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Barn
Good old rustoleum, or something like endura..??20190406_183830_1554597625385.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:44 PM

That's looking good!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendalwpg View Post
I used KBS Rust Seal this winter on a grain trailer frame. Too soon to see how long it lasts except I got a bunch on my hands and it was impossible to get off.....and I tried everything! Took the better part of 2 weeks to wear off. You can get POR15 also.....very similar product. They are industrial paint and and you brush it on. It spreads out nice and doesn't leave brush marks. You can probably get away with one coat.
I have a spray gun.., can that be sprayed on as well??

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Barn
Quote:
That's looking good!
Thanks,

A must for me was to have the gauge on there... always seem to run out Saturday night with beautiful weather in the forecast...

I'll post a pic when I'm done... will also build some kind of a cover over the pump...

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:57 PM

They say you can spray but it would have to be thinned down quite a bit. Brushing works pretty good. If you Google it you will see it's meant for things like car frames.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Quote:
I used KBS Rust Seal this winter on a grain trailer frame. Too soon to see how long it lasts except I got a bunch on my hands and it was impossible to get off.....and I tried everything! Took the better part of 2 weeks to wear off. You can get POR15 also.....very similar product. They are industrial paint and and you brush it on. It spreads out nice and doesn't leave brush marks. You can probably get away with one coat. It's about $50 in a 1 litre but that goes a long way......way more than Tremclad. Also you can get a liquid rust etcher to spray on with a squirt bottle first....eats off the orange rust and neutralizes it so the paint sticks better.
Did you try soaking them in cider?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 09:15 PM

No...hadnt heard of that one! However I really doubt it would have worked. In the end it was the oils from my skin that lifted it off....that stuff got into every pore and crack it could find and bonded to my skin!! So much for reading the instructions after I painted!!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Well tell your wife your going to try to soak them in cider for a bit n see what she says...

KWO likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page