welding damage to bearings? - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I was welding a pintal hitch on my truck, the battery disconnect was turned off yet I completely fried the VHF radio!!
We had a Lincoln 225 stick welder that if you were welding outside you would "get bit" if you touched the work that the ground was hooked to. So even if the ground clam is hooked close to were you are welding it is possible some energy could pass to the earth and cause bearing damage.

When welding out doors I drive a rod in the earth and ground what I am welding.

Keep in mind that the single 14000 volts coming into your yard has the earth as its neutral and even though your 220 volt welding machine doesn't have a neutral the earth can still be part of the circuit and cause damage when welding even though the ground clamp is hooked close to the welding.

hayday likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks you everyone for the advice , I am modifying the packer wheels on my strip tiller and decided it was just as easy to remove them and weld them on the welding table.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Pitted a hoist thru stupidness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YHMARK View Post
I was welding a pintal hitch on my truck, the battery disconnect was turned off yet I completely fried the VHF radio!!
We had a Lincoln 225 stick welder that if you were welding outside you would "get bit" if you touched the work that the ground was hooked to. So even if the ground clam is hooked close to were you are welding it is possible some energy could pass to the earth and cause bearing damage.

When welding out doors I drive a rod in the earth and ground what I am welding.

Keep in mind that the single 14000 volts coming into your yard has the earth as its neutral and even though your 220 volt welding machine doesn't have a neutral the earth can still be part of the circuit and cause damage when welding even though the ground clamp is hooked close to the welding.
Might be time to check your grounds inside the welder. I burned off a ground inside a Forney and killed a pig welding in the barn. Good thing I was holding the metal with rubber gloves and wearing rubber boots.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayday View Post
Thanks you everyone for the advice , I am modifying the packer wheels on my strip tiller and decided it was just as easy to remove them and weld them on the welding table.
When we welded steel caps on our packer wheels, we did it on the machine. Just grind a clean spot and keep moving the ground clamp to the wheel you are working on and you won't have any problems. Just don't hook your ground to an axle or anywhere you have to draw the current through a bearing.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Barn
Many years ago when I was younger and dumber I had a tractor and planter in the shop welding on planter, old tractor just using it to move planter around no electronics disconnected battery anyway. Ground to tractor because it was easier, welding on planter and a big boom happens, blew a hydraulic hose that was hooked to the tractor clean off the end. Guessing it was poor ground through drawbar and was grounding through hose/oil.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page