58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 12:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
Thanks, but you're correct in that it just "riveted" the thin wall tubing into the larger tubing it was sitting in. In this case both tubes are under the curling ice for my Crokincurl game board (basically I've converted the larger game like they are using at the Forks in Winnipeg to half a normal curling sheet and I've set an angle iron frame under the ice to hold the "pegs") so welding is not an option. Plan B was to thread the inside of the tubing with 7/8" bolt threads. I put a 5" bolt down into the tubing with a large washer on it to pry the tubing up with 2 pry bars. No dice. Plan C was to drill a 1" hole in a couple of 2x6's and use the thread to draw it up as I tightened the bolt. I used a 3/4" breaker bar with 3 ft of tubing on it and decided to quit before I broke the bolt off in there too. I tried drilling it out with a 1" bit, but the rough top of the broken tube kept catching the drill bit and shaking it loose even with a really good Jacobs chuck. Apparently the broken tubing is staying there until the ice melts in the spring so I dropped a broken bridge bolt down the center to hold things in place until I can fix it right.
Oh goodness.... sometimes there is no winning.... you have found yourself in a very specific situation worst case with broken bolts came down to drilling till the threads just start showing them picking them out with a dental pick.... you cant even do that. Without the aid of heat it seems your up the creek, as they say.

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 122 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Yes, in hindsight I should maybe have threaded the tubes into the larger ones... at least then they would have to come up as they turned. Here's some pics of the culprit in the curling ice, and my attempts to remove it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4230.JPG (226.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4232.JPG (227.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4234.JPG (285.7 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by whtbaron; 02-06-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page