Shop built tools - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 122 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Here a "tool" we are currently building... Portable scaffolds. two decks... 16' wide and the top deck is about 15' high

Attached Images
File Type: jpg scaffolds.jpg (386.6 KB, 349 views)
whtbaron likes this.

Only borrow money for things that make you money
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 122 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Sweet. I've been toying with the idea of a 14' pull type scaffold to take around fields so I can trim back branches with a chain saw. Now you've got me thinking about mounting it in the back of an old truck.

post #23 of 122 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Doorknob I may have to borrow your idea on the cutting bench, I really like the removable slats, I hate cutting on nice concrete i always like to put down an old scrap of sheet metal to save slag marking the floor, but a cutting table like this with a bit of a tray for slag n moveable slats would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 122 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj9510 View Post
Doorknob I may have to borrow your idea on the cutting bench, I really like the removable slats, I hate cutting on nice concrete i always like to put down an old scrap of sheet metal to save slag marking the floor, but a cutting table like this with a bit of a tray for slag n moveable slats would be great
You wont regret it. With your skills, it will be a fine table and I hope you post pictures when you are able to build it.

I too dont like it when concrete start popping and big holes appear all over the floor from it. Only thing I wish I would have done when we poured a new slab in the bay next to the shop, was to put a perfect level set of beams in the floor to tack weld projects to making level and square so much easier. But,..........maybe next time.
chance2 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 122 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
A really nicely set up workshop down the road from where I grew up use to buy plate steel in 20x8 sheets, they would lay them on the floor until they needed to cut a piece out for some fab or repair work, but in the mean time it gave them an awesome floor to tack frames to or to fab something off, I've never had the need for that much plate in one go but the idea always interested me
post #26 of 122 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Yea... we thought we were doing good when we built a welding table with a flat top. Since then I've learned about the slatted style like Doorknob has and maybe someday I'll get around to building something nice.
I was getting annoyed with having to find the right piece of tubing to release the bottle jack on my cheapy cheapy 20 ton press. It just stuck enough that you needed something to help turn it by hand. After listening to some ideas on another site I took an old plastic knob off a creep feeder and drilled it out to 3/8" to fit on the jack valve. I slotted it with a die grinder and disc so the pin on the valve will operate, filled it with hot glue so it sticks on and now I don't need the jacking rod to work the valve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02010.JPG (339.5 KB, 162 views)
w-mFarms likes this.
post #27 of 122 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Well thats a good idea. If your hands are oily or something you can still release the jack. I hate it when I cant turn something because my hands slip. That's why I end up not using my snapon ratchets very often and instead use my SK or Craftsman. At least with an extension on them I can grip the handle to rotate them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 122 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Small taps have always been a sore point with me as well. Don't know why they don't make them with hex heads instead of square tops so you could put a small socket and ratchet on them. The T bar holders are often a PIA in tight quarters and just plain slow. Too often the vice grips get put into service when using multiple sizes at once. I know the easy solution is to buy a set of square drive sockets from SnapOn, but I know they'll be over $100. A guy advertised his own version for $60 in the last Farm Show mag, but they aren't as handy. Lately I've been thinking about welding a nut on top of one of the T bar holders which would also work, but restricts you to one size for torque. I took an old scissors jack out of an abandoned car and welded a large nut on the drive. It's come in very handy for aligning parts for welding and taking dents out of auger tubes. It's cheap junk so I just weld the attachment I need for the job onto it.
post #29 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

The vacuum pump on my honey wagon finally gave me problems after almost 40 years of service. It hasn't been apart since it was built in the 70's so it was a challenge. My puller couldn't grab the uneven surface on the inside of the casting so I had to make 3 little legs out of some really tough scrap that bolted to the pump retaining holes inside. I tossed the whole thing out in a snow bank for an hour, then used old screw driver blades for wedges along the outside edge , put tension on the puller in the center and heated the inner bearing race before it finally gave up. The pump is obsolete so breaking the casting was not a good option.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02136.JPG (396.4 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02140 (1).JPG (392.8 KB, 122 views)
post #30 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

I've been hanging out at a site for welders and blacksmiths so I've been picking up some new ideas. One of them was to make a small bench anvil out of a piece of railroad track. This particular piece was damaged after a local derailment in the 70's. It's Birmingham steel that was placed here in the 1870's so it's very hard on the running surface.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02142 (1).JPG (365.4 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg 016.JPG (274.0 KB, 219 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page