Shop built tools - The Combine Forum
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Shop built tools

Before I went farming, I worked in a body shop painting cars. One old guy I worked for used to laugh at us "young guys" for wasting our money on tools. Except for Snapon wrenchs etc. he made most of his own. The more cheap chinese crap I toss in the waste bin, the more his words echo in the back of my mind, and I've started building a few myself. Just curious to see what everyone out there has built in his own shop that turned out to be a very valuable tool.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
I'll have to get some pics of the smaller tools, but here's a link to a thread with pictures of a couple of the bigger items.
Link.

I made my own cutting table too with replaceable slats and stuff. Have to get a new pic of it as I cant find the old ones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

cool... I made this hacksaw after I broke a couple flimsey Chinese ones that wouldn't keep the blade tight. This one is made from 1 inch flatiron with a piece of steel tubing for the handles. Tensioner tabs were broken drill bits welded into square steel stock. The frame is rigid enough to tighten the tension with pliers... works very well. Don't look too close at the welding because I got lazy and grabbed the arc when I should have went and got the MIG.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03702.JPG (159.2 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03703.JPG (241.8 KB, 262 views)
torriem likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Great idea. That thing looks awesome. When you break a bandsaw blade, I hear they make great hack saw blades. I dont recall how to punch the holes, but your frame would sure hold up to a heavy blade like that. A good hack saw is a must on any farm. Thanks for the idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
I have accumulated lots of shop built stuff over the years, few larger items like an heavy duty engine stand that rivals anything OTC builds, special roller stands for splitting tractors and stuff like that. Nice thing about building it yourself is you make it to work exactly as you want it to. The smaller stuff is usually specialty tools, those little tools that make things easy that would otherwise be very time consuming. I have a whole drawer in my one side cab of modified wrenches of all types. Have made several homemade wheel bearing type sockets and other odds and ends. My philosophy is if I am going to use it often or its for a job that requires certain precision, I'll spend the bucks and buy it, if its something I may only need once or twice, I'll build it. I have boxes of good used tools I keep around just to cut up for making special stuff.

I have a cupboard shelf and a box full of items that would mean nothing to most people, its all shop made versions of those special items needed when assembling transmissions and such, for a lot of the older stuff you cant buy them anymore, and some of the newer stuff is priced stupid and can take several weeks to special order. That was one awesome thing about the older manuals, they would give the OTC or Kent number of the item you needed, and then they would also give the dimensions and such so if you wanted to you could build your own.

Two that are in progress right now is a wheel dolly for tractor wheels and final drives complete and I'm halfway done making that wuzzy special socket with the slot in the side you need to tighten down those Bosh injectors

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
post #6 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I made a 6' long wrench for tightening the gang bolts on our disk rippers. It seemed like we were always having them come loose, and just couldn't keep the dang things tight. I took and old broken 1" square shaft that was about 6' long and cut it to 2' & 4' pieces, I then took (3) 3/8" pieces of flat iron and cut out the "socket" part, then stacked them and welded them to the 2' shaft. the 4' shaft has a piece of bigger square tubing that slips onto the 2' shaft, making it about 6' long. I know it's tough to imagine, but I'm not good at explaing things like that. If my calcs are right, my 220lbs jumping on the end of a 6' shaft puts somewhere around 1300+ ft/lbs of torque on the nut...never had one come loose yet
whtbaron likes this.

I may be young, but I've been told I am wise beyond my years.
post #7 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
dad has a whole box of custom made toolsused mostly when he worked at IH he used them then when case and IH went to together those tools went to the caseih shop and he quit and started doin work himself he borrowed the tool made his own with a few little adjustments he wanted to make it better
post #8 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 12:42 AM
mikey350

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I got fed up with cheap sandblasting cabinets, have made several other tools for the shop just cant get into my old photobucket account

Enjoy the video!
post #9 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

A sandblasting cabinet big enough to put a bumper in is on my list too... I've been eyeing up the hopper on an old IHC 403 combine.
chance2 and 1972RedNeck like this.
post #10 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Here's one that is incredibly simply but handy. I get oil in bulk barrels, and never have the right spanner wrench around when I need it. I made this one out of a piece of scrap pipe, some rod and a short piece of flatiron. If I was going to make another one the pipe would be longer to give me more knuckle clearance at the barrel. The round side opens the big bung, the flatiron is basically a large screwdriver that opens the small one. It hangs on the wall over the barrels and is always there, because it's useless for anything else.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08767.JPG (166.2 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08766.JPG (152.4 KB, 283 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page