Versatile 400 Belt twisting - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Versatile 400 Belt twisting

The belt, reel, & canvas drive belt keeps twisting. Had two older neighbours over and neither of them could figure it out. Prob something simple...

Pic of the redish frame is my swather after spinning the belt motor running, spinning by hand it doesn't flip. Pic of the faded red is one of the neighbours swather for reference.

We've tried loose and tight belts, even changed the left pulley and the bottom one to no avail. Even rotated the triangle bracket to better line up the pulleys.

Second new belt on the machine as well...

Thoughts?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2806-Cropped.jpg (192.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2802-Cropped.jpg (245.3 KB, 55 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 12:54 AM
RWT

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Kinsman
It's been about 20 yrs since I ve run one of those swathers.The canvass belt can be tricky too.If I remember correctly the rear pulley needs to be as low as possible and the front one as high as possible to give it more room to twist because it's on the slack side if that makes sense.It looks like that might be the difference in the two pictures also,worth a try.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Did you change the front idler pulley. Your neighbors looks to be in much
better shape than yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Changed all three pulleys though with ones from a parts machine...Thinking I'm going to buy a new belt and two new idler pulleys
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 07:33 PM
jvw

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
On my 400 I extended the bracket for the front(I think) idler so it sits much taller. I think I did it to accommodate a longer belt when I didn't have the right one, but has never twisted since then, and gives more wrap around the small pulley for less slippage. I just used a piece of flat bar, bolted an idler to one end and bolted it into the slot on the bottom. Might be shimmed or tipped to keep everything in line.

I do know that they were never built to spin a large diameter pickup reel in a wet down tangled crop. I carry all spare belts, roll pins, even pulleys and chains.

I also know that if I never see another twisted belt again it will be too soon.

Swather is unofficially retired now, at least that is the plan, doesn't break my heart at all.

Also check if any of the pulleys are bent or warped, the big one could easily be damaged by forcing a belt into it without unbolting the bearing, since it sits too close to the frame otherwise.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
I've been wrong before but I have looked at this several times and I can't help but think you should have a flat pulley on the front and the back of the belt will run on it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 08:50 PM
jvw

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatswrong View Post
I've been wrong before but I have looked at this several times and I can't help but think you should have a flat pulley on the front and the back of the belt will run on it.
I just looked at the picture, and yes, that is supposed to be a flat idler, not V.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Check the drives leading up to the first pulley. I had a belt that kept twisting once that turned out to be a worn chain and sprocket creating inconsistent movement in the pulley. A bad bearing or U joint could possibly give the same results.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatswrong View Post
That is exactly what we did with our old 400. Front pulley was flat, back pulley was a V. Belt seemed to last longer that way.

Living the dream,......one bushel at a time.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2 View Post
That is exactly what we did with our old 400. Front pulley was flat, back pulley was a V. Belt seemed to last longer that way.
That is how it was done on the pull types, I actually went and checked the other day, but on those the belt is actually crossed as well. I've been meaning to look in the books as I have a whole binder on those swathers somewhere, but I keep forgetting when I'm outside to look for it.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page