Versatile combine - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
We tried one out 3 years ago. It was a decent combine fairly simple. The cab is very European so it takes a little while to get used to. I sat beside a guy that got 2 of these combines. The dealership didn't pdi them. They caused nothing but problems. Then versatile sent out their Russian combine guru and in 2 days they were good reliable combines.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 460 View Post
One issue is they came with a paddle feederouse somewhat like the older MF. This posed a problem with feeding in crops where picking up some dirt is an issue. Not sure about the feeder house on these. A farm around MJ had 4 of these I believe and Versatile ended up changing them over to feeder chain. The farm here had a 2 or 3 year lease on them and turned them back in. We were told at the farm show, the Versatile dealer that sold them has not chosen to be a combine dealer for them. From what I have heard from someone close to the operation is they weren't terrible.

Sorry no real world experience. These combines will sell cheap in comparison. I don't think they'll go as cheap as some think.
I don't see how that feederhouse would be a problem if it is anything at all like a MF we ran those old MF's for 40 years and they never gave us a problem.

dookiller likes this.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Thanks guys I realize they are very limited , but it sounds like they are reasonable machines if properly pdi'ed . And I definitely agree they should be marketed to the guys with 10+ year old machines as a reasonably priced new replacement , not to those running new or next to new .
SWFarmService likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
don't think any came to Australia
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK Farmer View Post
I don't see how that feederhouse would be a problem if it is anything at all like a MF we ran those old MF's for 40 years and they never gave us a problem.
The farmers that owned them had close to 15000 acres of pulse crops last year I believe. Chickpeas and lentils. With dry seed or not the stems can stay pretty green. Combine (no pun intended) that with the dirt, I guess these had issues.

Ya Dad owned an 850 for a few years, which was plenty long enough. Flax was a fun one.
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
With the old Massey’s 860 we use to put on extra paddles for short crops 4 instead of 2 per shaft
SK Farmer likes this.
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I think they would be a ok combine. Parts and service is going to be your biggest problem with them. As long as the updates were done like the feeder house and new rotor it should be decent. From what I've heard it's lots of small problems and then not being able to get parts in time which Versatile is good for. The initial launch was 1 combine per dealer, if you wanted to demo you needed 2, 1 for spare parts. Went to school with a dealer from Montana and they had 3 units, 2 on demo and one stripped down to keep the other 2 going. I looked at some of the pictures of the combines in Regina and they had the new feeder house. Not sure about the rotor. Rotors weren't strong enough and guys were ripping off rub bars and their mounts. Corner does have 4 combines sitting there but I think Versatile wanted to dump some off to clear the yard out in Winnipeg. I talked to a guy this fall who had a 490 out with his class 6,7 and 8 MF combines in 36ft of fall rye and he said it couldn't outperform his 7 but could stay just ahead of his 6 and nowhere close to his 8. He said the feeder house limited the capacity and it was the updated one. Over all he wasn't that impressed with it. My overall impression is these combines are going to sell cheap

Stupid is as Stupid does
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I wonder if the ones at RB are the same that we're offered in the producer last yr. $100,000 for the pair? Not sure if they were production combines or prototypes.
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
It's too bad they didn't have a better launch, maybe have waited a year and make sure all kinks had been sorted out. They have a really tough road ahead of them now to shake the reputation they got, if it's at all possible.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
I'd blow my brains out before I ever used a combine with those **** feeder house paddles. Also had Massy's back in the day. Last memory I have of them is pulling wrapped flax straw out while it was burning.

460 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page