• 1 Post By schraefel
  • 3 Post By YHMARK
  • 2 Post By gleanerman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
versatile 875 fuel problem

so driving down the road ... the tractor just quit . stopped and just restarted .. then in the field did it again ... changed fuel filters and that didnt seem to be problem ,but when i changed the filters they were only half full . wondering if any one has had this or knows what may be going on ? Thanks
1979 versatile 875 . 6 cylinder motor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Sounds like you might be sucking air on the intake side somewhere from pump to the tank. Could be anything from a rotten hose, loose fittings or even a loose filter. Often when you are experiencing fuel shortages a Cummins will keep running but be noticeably short on power and when it gets bad enough then they will die. Look things over and make sure your hoses are in good condition.

Probably keeping the tanks near full will reduce the issue if you simply need to keep it going till you have time or get it somewhere to deal with it

tshack, SouthernSK and Nodust like this.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.

Last edited by albertabuck; 05-22-2018 at 03:06 PM. Reason: added comment
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I can almost be certain 100% that you need to change your fuel lines as I have a 78 model. Versatile used hydraulic hose for fuel lines and after all these years go by they are cracked and deteriorated on the inside as well. Same thing happened to me too. I too asked on combine forum and CRToney helped me out .So its my turn now ! Anyone else with older versatile should do the same thing and get proper fuel lines put on and you'll notice faster starting too as it is primed rather than sucking air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I agree!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
My guess is a blocked fuel line. Inside the line can be falling apart and blocking it self off or something in the tank. I have seen both. Can often check by removing the line on both ends and lightly blowing air though the line in direction of normal flow. It may be blocked off or suddenly feel blocked off if the line has a flapper in it. Chuck of the liner comes loose and flaps down blocking the line. Works, then suddenly stops with flow against it.

If it sucks air it will loose power and loose accelerator control. The air compresses in the system and can't control the rail pressure anymore. Can get bad enough it dies. Cummins PT fuel systems.

Fuel filters often come off half full. I have not figured out why, I know they do.

Good luck!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Barn
Years ago on a 9480 versatile, I was having the exact same problem. I finally took the fuel line off and blew it back with an air compressor which worked and it never failed again. This year while changing the filters in the machine they boys noticed something hanging out of the filter housing and pulled it out. It was about 6" long and looked like an old piece of duct tape with only the braid left. This, we assumed was from the original problem. It can drive a guy crazy.
chance2 likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Try screwing the manual fuel override in. The fuel solenoid could be getting weak.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
The neighbourer's 875 died at 5700 hours. There was a red plastic plug in the fuel line right at the tank. One of those plugs they use when they want to keep paint out. It was about the right size to plug one of the bolt holes for the sender. Figured it was dropped into the big hole and never retrieved.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
My 835 has been giving trouble just like you talk and mine is something to do with the engine protection system. I think it's the switch as it sometimes has a "sweet" spot while trying to start it.

A half full fuel filter in my experience usually don't mean anything, they generally won't fill up until they are plugged. Don't ask me how that's possible but I see that rather often.

If the tractor seems to run fine I would watch for anything strange with the gauges and anything abnormal with the override switch.

There is definitely plenty of potential for fuel line issues and if there is something plugged there should be a noticeable sucking noise when unscrewing the fuel filter as long as it's done as soon as the tractor dies

God Bless America
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Soon after we bought our new 800 Versatile it acted just as you describe. Turned out to be a bad Murphy temperature gauge. Had us baffled until I saw a flash as it dropped the circuit when I was working late at night.

chance2 and SWFarmService like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page