Upgrade to Versatile RT520/RT490 - The Combine Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Upgrade to Versatile RT520/RT490

Smaller farm looking for a newer combine. Considering a Versatile due to price difference, also I work in the manufacturing engineering department at the Winnipeg, MB plant so it would be neat to run one of our products.

Currently running a couple of JD 9600's, wheat and soybeans are the main crops however getting into trying some rye grass now.

I've looked at past reviews of the RT490, seems like the biggest cons with them were crude cabs and the feeder housing being undersized. I know the RT520 has an upgraded cab, I've been inside them before (machine was off) but they seemed pretty nice, better than the RT490 and especially compared to what we currently run. As for the feeder housings does anyone know if there has been upgrades to them? I've seen the feeder housings getting torn off of the RT490's we have been receiving this year, not sure if upgrades are being done or not.

Does anyone have experience running a later model RT490 or RT520?

Thanks for any replies!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
This is really interesting.
Brad you work in engineering at the plant and it doesn't sound like you have a clue on these machines?
Take your coffee with you down to the service office and spend some time there with the service reps.

albertabuck, chance2 and s6704940 like this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MF cowboy View Post
Brad you work in engineering at the plant and it doesn't sound like you have a clue on these machines?
Take your coffee with you down to the service office and spend some time there with the service reps.
Good idea.

Does anybody on the forum run these? Or has anybody tested these? I could get over the cab. My biggest concern is parts and service. Same with class and Gleaner. I know they make good machines just no dealers around me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
If I remember correctly last fall Versatile sent some combines with low low hours to Ritchie Bros sale Regina.
I wonder how the purchasers made out with those machines.
Thought they sold reasonable? $80k maybe? can't remember for sure.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
I know a few guys that had them in our area here had them on a lease, but when the time for the buyout came nobody bought nor sis they buy them from ritchie, i think service was the main reason, seen guys trade deltas sue to poor service
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Yup a friend of mine here bought one ( 300 hours ) and around $80k . He had a few little things to fix ,mostly from sitting , but he hasn't got allot of hours on it yet . He is of course learning to operate it but seems reasonably happy so far .
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MF cowboy View Post
I would do this but we don't deal with service here only the assembly of equipment. We receive combines from Russia and do general prep work on them that needs to be done after shipping (installing lights, radio, ensuring paints okay, washing up, ect). Then they get sent off to dealers or customers. The engineering area I work in is focused solely around our tractors. I know tillage and air cart design is also done in Winnipeg, however I'm not aware of anything for combines.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
BradT, any chance you could talk to someone there and get them to start bringing in the Acros 595? They already are selling them in Versatile dress. The RSM 161 is also interesting.

https://autoline.info/-/sale/combine...11253877341700

This would be a better fit for many smaller producers, especially as the 9600's are getting worn out. It's not a simple as just buying a well used class 7,8, or 9 machine. The 2 biggest problems are; the number of bushels they have put thru them (as all the grain handling metal is worn paper thin), and the parts prices reflect that they are for a $6-700 000 machine.

It's well known that all of the MFG's have smaller machines that they don't bring into NA as it would kill the resale on their monster machines. As Versatile/Rostselmash has next to no market share here, why not bring in some smaller machines and get more market share?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Great idea, lots of smaller farms or mixed farms donít need or want a monster.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
There are 10 of the RT490's coming up on rb auction's sale on nov.6/18 from regina

stevejo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page