935-903 Cummins will not start - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was using our 935 to work some wheat ground and it was working great, ran into a few issues in the springtime that we got fixed so I was pretty happy. I stopped for dinner and it would not restart, did some trouble shooting and figured out the solenoid must be getting weak. Turned the bypass in and it fired right up, turned it out and it stayed running. I finished the field and drove it home as it was getting very low on fuel. Now I can not get it to start, tried adding more fuel in the tank and even a little either. Was turning over quickly but now it turns over very very slow with batteries fully charge and even with another tractor connected to it. Any suggestions?

1997 JD 9500 w/922 Head

Last edited by lilnotts; 10-06-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
a 903 needs to spin over fast in order to be a good starter,check your cables and grounds. we run a ground cable from the batteries directly to the starter.maybe your starter is done they are not that expensive but a pita to change.after you get it turning over good check your fuel lines for cracks. our Massey's are famous for bad lines.they won't leak diesel but will suck air.that's it, spin it fast,suck fuel, and away she goes. can't see it being anything like spun bearings or tranny problem. we have had to do the rubber ball and blower chuck in the fuel tank just to help get fuel up to the filters but these fuel pumps are usually good at priming and getting fuel up there.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnotts View Post
I was using our 935 to work some wheat ground and it was working great, ran into a few issues in the springtime that we got fixed so I was pretty happy. I stopped for dinner and it would not restart, did some trouble shooting and figured out the solenoid must be getting weak. Turned the bypass in and it fired right up, turned it out and it stayed running. I finished the field and drove it home as it was getting very low on fuel. Now I can not get it to start, tried adding more fuel in the tank and even a little either. Was turning over quickly but now it turns over very very slow with batteries fully charge and even with another tractor connected to it. Any suggestions?
I had the plastic/fiber star coupler break that turns the PT fuel pump on a NTC350. Tractor had been sitting over winter for a few months and went to start it up and bring it into the shop on a warm winter day. It started fine, ran for ten seconds and then stopped. We tried all the little tricks like turning in the screw on fuel shutoff solenoid, pressuring the fuel tank and bleeding air out of filters etc. It finally became apparent that the pump was not turning. Had to rebuild the PT pump. Actually had it happen on a Versatile 500 with the 504 V8 engine also. Might be your problem????

I see it is a couple weeks ago. Did you get it figured out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
there is a screw opposite of the electrical coil turn it all the way in and see if it fires up. if fuel is at the pump and it still wont go its probably the shaft that broke inside the pt pump does happen quite often
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page