Tips for replacing headgasket on 895? - The Combine Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MF cowboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Tips for replacing headgasket on 895?

I want to replace the headgaskets on my 895. It is leaking a ton of oil and occasionally a little antifreeze leaks out, thankfully not mixing the two though. Anything I need to look at while I'm in there? Should I get injectors rebuilt and are the heads likely to need resurfacing? Any special tools needed? It has fairly high hours, probably 8000 or so. Still starts and runs great!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
The answer is yes, yes.
And you will need a man out to your place to set the injectors once you get the gaskets renewed.
There are special tools needed for that.
Maybe inquire with Cummins on new injectors?
Some one mentioned Cummins has injectors for the 855 engines that are for low sulfur diesel.
Whether they are exchange, rebuilt or new I don't know.

Grainline likes this.

Last edited by MF cowboy; 03-09-2019 at 03:26 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MF cowboy View Post
The answer is yes, yes.
And you will need a man out to your place to set the injectors once you get the gaskets renewed.
There are special tools needed for that.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:54 PM
jvw

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
It is recommended to measure liner protrusion while you have the head off. Likely not such a big deal on a tractor without Jake brakes, but trucks will eventually start leaking past the fire ring, especially if liner protrusion is too low.

It may not be recommended, but it is possible to set the injectors without any Cummins tool. I've never used any special tools. An inch pound torque wrench is helpful, and I believe the procedure changes depending on the model. A good idea to back off the adjusters before installing the rockers, since the injectors are literally bottomed out at full stroke, and if anything goes back together different, it could damage an injector.

My 855 was leaking coolant badly around 1 head, new head gaskets was all it took to stop that, no machining required.

If yours has the plastic injector cooling nozzles(Right side top of crank case), evidently, they are prone to getting brittle with old age and breaking off, cheap maintenance to change them, can be done from the outside.

And the best part, the 3 individual heads are each light enough to handle by hand.

Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
FarmerAndy Regina truck and trailer is a good place to get injectors and head gasket if you need. Aljur is a great guy and it is hard to beat his price.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
A good manual for the engine is helpful. Depending on your specific injectors you may just need a set of feeler gauges is they are top stop style injectors
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
45 inch pounds, or about a firm twist with a big screwdriver.done my 903's like this for years!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page