855 cummins leaking from front main seal - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
855 cummins leaking from front main seal

Hey all.
Got about 320 acres left and it seems my tractor is leaking a decent amount. Just concerned if it is in fact the seal or the motor on the way out. No smoke out the exhaust and the breather isn't putting any vapour out. I blew the tube out and it wasn't plugged either
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Likely just the seal.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Here's to hoping just want to finish seeding. Just seems to be leaking a lot just for a seal. Thanks though I feel a lot more confident in it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
before I would get too excited, I'd go around the gear cover and oil pan with a socket and make sure the bolts are tight. My L-10 in my 9150 seems to be famous for this trick about mid way through seeding
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
We had to do the accessory drive pulley seal in our 8960 with a 855 but that would be pretty noticeable. I would think a front main seal would also be pretty notable. Piston cooling nozzle o rings can slobber a lot of oil out. If you aren’t noticing external leaks a turbo would be a possibility or a rear main especially if you have a wet clutch. If this was the case your hyd oil would rise and turn dark
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
My 875 sprung a leak this spring, by keeping oil level a bit below completely full really reduces leakage, but then one needs to check and add to it regularly.
I suspect mine is leaking due to the front cover being improperly installed. If the same blacksmith bolted it on that bolted the flywheel housing on 32 thou to one side, I'm surprised it lasted this long lol. Pisses me off as I had the whole thing tore down last fall and would have been soooooo easy to change that seal when I was looking the front of the engine for two weeks in front of the shop lol.

Something I'll add here to any reading, if you ever have the rad out on one of those older Versys, Remove the bumper and then re install those four bolts on each side frame and weld the nuts to the insides of the frame. Reason I did it was so I can easily pull the bumper off with the front nose all from accessing the bolts externally as I did lots of swearing when I tore mine apart and thats when the decision was made to make things come apart and go back together a lot easier. Now that it has to come apart again to pull that front cover and do the seal, dam I am happy I did it

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I am happy to report I did in fact get to finish seeding. The tractor is absolutely disgustingly filthy.

The leak is most definitely coming from the front main seal, I'll wash it up and give the bolts a check to make sure that isn't the issue. If not I guess I have a rainy day summer project to add to the list.

The most concerning part to me is that it doesn't seem to leak much when the tractor is off but I suppose with the oil level being where it is may explain that.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Yes, the oil level is below the seal.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page