Macdon D65,2014,45ft vrs 3152 45ft case - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Macdon D65,2014,45ft vrs 3152 45ft case

I have been running Macdon rigid drapers for the past 15 years. As Case is now promoting their front has anyone used one of these and how do they compare to the Macdon. It will be going on a 2014 8230 Case and will be stripping mainly sorghum 60% of time, chickpeas and cereals the other 40% of the time. The New Case front is relatively new in Australia and 25% cheaper than the Honeybee or Macdon equivelant. How do the new case fronts feed, travel, float etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks FJ for that, I certainly don't want to be doing the R&D for case re this header front. The first one of these types of fronts in Australia was trialled near me earlier this year, the guy who eventually bought it ended up taking it back after half a season and got a Macdon. To cut a long story short the problems this guy experienced were due to the PD set up apparently, but I am still not convinced.
I see what you are talking about with the knife so low compared to the draper belt and I can see problems with the reel being unable to clear the knife and feed the draper mat at the same time.
As there is next to zero of these fronts running in Aus it's basically US/Canada feedback that I can rely on in making a decision. I know my Dealer will support me 100% but with all the other associated dramas re harvest and growing crops I don't know if it's worth the risk.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 05:11 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4634 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjones View Post
Isn't that one of those taller than normal cans?
471 vs 355 ml I think but same diameter?
If it was Kokanee I'd understand. Or Pepsi.
Either way, appears to be quite a dead spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
recipe for disaster for any kind of short crop!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get the tried and proven machine! one you know that works, nothing worse than down time in the busiest time of the yr and high expenses.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Well dealer is bringing one out for a demo soon he says, but I heard some
Positives from a Montana farmer last week, he said he was going to swap over to it... Can't be that bad, and yes macdon is hard to beat
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 09:47 AM
HI!

Quoted: 4634 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bussard View Post
Well dealer is bringing one out for a demo
Flex or rigid?
And what model #'s are are associated with either?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Quote:
The 3152 don't float....its frame is fixed to the feeder house with no suspension. This is probably one of the biggest factors that will decide weather or not it is an option for you.

Not to derail your thread, but I saw the flex version in transport today (I know you are looking for a ridged version). I'v never seen what it's like when it is in full flex down, which occurs when on the transport wheels. Here is what I saw:

Holy cow Batman!!!! How in the world are short beans going to feed into that?!?!?! I know you don't harvest when it's all flexed down, but in my area one part of the cutter bar is almost always in the max up and max down float range at any given time....I don't even have to go to the field to know that would work horrible in fields that are not completely flat! What are they thinking? That's over an 8 inch ledge to jump when flexed down!
I've spent an hour walking around the 3152. It doesn't have such a big ledge at all as what you show in your picture of the 3162. In fact it has about the same kind of ledge as the MacDon. So in the rigid version, I don't see any problems.

Yes the 3152 does rely on the feeder accumulator for suspension, like every other rigid header out there. It also requires lateral tilt on the feeder faceplate. The 45 foot header I saw also had guide wheels that took weight, similar to MacDon. The 3152 can tilt the header forward and back just like MacDon. Just like most non-MacDon straight headers, ground-following whiskers (several of them) control auto height and lateral tilt.

I do really like MacDon's suspension , though. I also would be loath to switch from it, myself. But I think the 3152 will work okay. Get a demo first!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Quote:
Here is what I saw:
Off topic here again, but I showed this picture to my brother and he reminded me that f course you'll have a huge ledge. The knife isn't locked up in the picture, and so what you're seeing is the knife at it's lowest position. Normally, except for very low dips or very high dips across the cutting width, the knife is only an inch or two below the belts. In fact this is exactly what honeybee looks like when you pick up the header off the ground also. So from what I can see, except for momentary extremes in terrain, there isn't really a huge ledge.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Cam action reel will help in this situation... it is designed to almost run across the lip and drag the mateial over and drop it on the belts. I have a 3152 in my yard and cannot see any issues with the way it will work, but ask me in October when I have seen it running
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucka View Post
The Cam action reel will help in this situation... it is designed to almost run across the lip and drag the mateial over and drop it on the belts. I have a 3152 in my yard and cannot see any issues with the way it will work, but ask me in October when I have seen it running
Roughly whereabouts are you at Chucka in NSW ? It's a pitty I didn't get to see this front work when it was close to me earlier this year, would of made the decision a lot easier.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page