Harvest Services feeder chains better than factory? - The Combine Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Harvest Services feeder chains better than factory?

We've wore out the feeder chains on both our combines (7120 and 7230) so I'm about to order some new ones. They are both 4-strand (evenly spaced) chains, serrated edges, u-shaped slats. The harvest services feeder chains are available through Rocky Mountain Equipment, and come out to about $300 cheaper than the OEM ones. Any experience with them? We used to run harvest services feeder chains on our 1680. Do they work as well or better than the factory ones typically? Wheat, Canola, Peas, Beans, etc.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
In a word, yes. We run them in JD combines, and they are much lighter (as far as rotating mass), will spring back into shape, and run quiet. I wouldn't consider a steel or cast one again.

V876 likes this.

Myles
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Thanks for the good vote. I think I'll give them a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdirtfarmer View Post
In a word, yes. We run them in JD combines, and they are much lighter (as far as rotating mass), will spring back into shape, and run quiet. I wouldn't consider a steel or cast one again.
X2

When life gives you lemons
Break out the Tequila
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
I have had mixed results on longevity, really like how quiet they are and how light weight, I have 3 three strand chains in my 1480's

I have been told the Gordon? plastic one is a lot more consistant life span wise, might want to look into that, I need to get one ordered myself, one of my harvest chains looks like its going to bite the dust early, wont go back to steel, no way
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 11:54 PM
HI!

Quoted: 4688 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFarmService View Post
I have been told the Gordon?
Gibson.
Gibson Industries Ltd. Elastomer Feeder Chain Slats and Roller Bars

Not sure Dale is still doing this, not that anyone would drive to Eyebrow SK blind, definitely phone ahead.
SWFarmService likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 01:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2906 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
Not sure Dale is still doing this, not that anyone would drive to Eyebrow SK blind, definitely phone ahead.
They have a 2/3 page ad in "The Book" this year so I would think so.

Torriem check around on the Harvest services pricing, it could vary. Although RME has been bad on some items in the past for me sometimes they are good on pricing, best to check anyways on larger items.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

We also have had great luck/durability out of the Gibson elastomer slat chains.
The fiberglass rods in the slats return to straight where as the steel straps in the harvest ones do bend/bow.
Both are a huge improvement over OEM steel slat chains.
I think 2 of the four we are running are nearing 1500hrs where we would sometimes tear a steel slat unit apart in 200hours.
We have busted some slats but no damage even from the partial slats that did go out the chopper.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Never even thought about running one through the machine, even if the Gibson was an average run of the mill chain it sure would be alot safer for the combine, I better get one on order tomorrow, my uncle is a dealer here for the harvest chain but I would like to try something diff, I am really fussy about how I adjust my feeder chains, I have had these chains since they were westward products, best one was a westward, was checking over the combines and was suprised to notice one had 1100 hrs on it and I think I can make it one more season, still riding on the sprockets very nice and the wear on the sprockets is almost none, strange thing is that combine is the one that twists off feeder chain jack shafts. Then on the other hand I have one with only 200 some odd hours on it and there is no way it would make the season
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We are running 4 2388's all with Gibson chains now.
With steel slat OEM chains we would have to adjust tension every few days and the drive sprockets would need changing every couple seasons.
Now we adjust at the start of season and usually go the entire harvest (250 to 300 hours) without adjusting and the drive sprockets are as old as the chains.
We also put the "quietener" strips on the front feeder drum.
The header/pickup makes as much noise as the empty feederhouse now.
The big plus we found was that when you get a Baseball sized rock into the feederhouse it doesn't catch the outer end of a steel slat and break/twist the entire chain assembly, usually on a near new chain!!!
Not fun using a hacksaw blade wrapped with duct tape working through top cover or worse stonetrap access trying to cut links to get a twisted chain out!!
We have picked up a couple large rocks while picking canola swaths and busted/damaged as many as 7 slats, it is usually a "square sided" rock that does any damage.
Just drop the pickup header and grab the cordless drill and impact and in under a half hour slats are replaced and machine is back running.
We have about 20 spare slats on hand but don't have the mount holes drilled until we are putting them on.
Otherwise our luck we would need left side slats and all our spares would be drilled foe the right side!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in