Case 8240 (ST) - comparison with NH8090 - The Combine Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
rod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Case 8240 (ST) - comparison with NH8090

Here's just my observations & experience from running a Case 8240 equipped with ST rotor in comparison to a previous NH8090 (TP).
Crops harvested in 2015 were peas & vetch, canola, barely & wheat.
Firstly, it took a whole year of trial & error, making bits & pieces, installing then, throwing them out - if they didn't work, then refining the "work in progress" pieces in the workshop through winter to get the NH 8090 (TP) to my satisfaction level of performance.
I can't see any different process with this Case 8240.

Undoubtedly, the Case is by far, the easiest to service of a morning. At least 20 minutes quicker. There is minimal chains & belts on the whole machine. Logically, this would mean lower R&M costs - this is yet to be determined.
Vetch & peas - both do a great job - as these are like sorting buckshot from feathers.
Canola, Case feeds better - no argument. The restriction in the NH feeding could be from the fact of the ASP front roller. I have not seen the new DSP type work so I can't comment.
Once I worked out the best configuration of concave & separation modules & clip-on module covers, as well as opening the sieves up more than what you would think & running the rotor faster than what you'd think - 12mt windrows were big & bulky this year - 8240 went very well.
I was fighting "high returns" (according to the returns monitor) for some time until I realised this returns monitor is not all it's portrayed to be. Clip-on covers for the separation modules makes a big difference!
If I could work out how to place a pic of the clip-on covers right here .... IMG_0770.jpg

Barley & wheat where crops with huge potential ..... but someone held up the rain towards grain filling - so we had huge amount of straw compared too grain. Some pinched grain (in wheat) & some lighter weight grain in barley. Yep, & all a bit harder to thrash.
It took a few days of trialing module(s) in different positions to get it to work better. Still not exactly how I would like it, I made "filler-strips" for the OEM SW concaves up front. This made a huge difference in thrashing & therefore rotor loss & sieve loss. Once the thrashing problem was fixed, uneven sieve loading was next. Another succession of changing modules in the separation area to see what works & what doesn't. That last module on the RH side is an absolute c..t to change - worst feature of the whole machine - I hate that mongrel! We settled on 4 LSW equipped with clip-on covers if required. Tilting the sieve with a + 0.5 made all the difference.
I agree with those people who know these machines, open the bottom sieve more - sometimes much more - than what you would think. Pre-sieve about seed size, or a tad better.
Machines goes much better with the concave opened up & "fill her up" - with plenty of rotor speed. Not much difference to the NH twin pitch.
Case Tri-sweep processor - is not a re-thrasher's bootlace. WTF is it for?
Cab is quieter on NH. I think the "noise" in the Case cab is engine exhaust noise, so 750mm SS exhaust extension is to be fitted.
Air cleaner & aspirator system works extremely well on the Case & also on my old NH.
Case Rotating wand on engine screen - I knew this would be a problem from the first day I laid eyes on it. image1.jpg

A trip to Bunnings - its like Walmart but smaller - solved the problem. Fitting a "door brush" to the rear side of the rotating wand fixed all issues - forever! IMG_0795.jpg

Unloading auger on the Case is light years ahead of the standard NH unloading auger. Horizontal auger shut-off is bloody brilliant!

My 8240 is a rice spec machine with ST rotor, 4WD, spiked rotor bars (over the separation area) & horizontal spreaders. These horizontal spreaders work fantastic - easy 12mt spread with a bit of moisture in the air or tougher straw & easy 9-10mt when it f...n hot, dry & brittle.

Case is very easy to change over to narrow windrows for burning. I've still a bit of work to do to reduce chaff loss out the sides of the chute. I've found you have to be very careful not to "choke" the air flow out of the machine as it will affect performance. IMG_0810.jpg

One aspect I would like Case to address is the amount of chaff that accumulates on the back deck around the air cleaner housing. It must be low pressure area as a result of the engine fan sucking on one side & blowing out the other. Still, I'd like it fixed - please Case? IMG_0806.jpg
IMG_0807.jpg

All in all, the 8240 with a few more "bits & pieces" is a great machine. Definitely no regrets changing colour.
IMG_1098.jpg

All lined up & ready..jpg

IMG_1132.JPG

Last edited by rod; 12-13-2015 at 02:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 01:48 AM
John Force - Legend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
The round bar grates. Did you get them just for canola?

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom970 View Post
The round bar grates. Did you get them just for canola?
Rice mainly .... but think they'll work in winter crops ..... with or without covers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 02:13 AM
John Force - Legend

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Did you windrow for the whole job?? Just wondering if that affected the buildup on the service deck. Maybe its different up there on a 40 but the 9120 never did that, as bad. A little near the hyd tank and rear step. Did a fair bit of windrowing too and thats when it was worse than with spreaders on.

Looks like you found some wedgetail to get that sample. The old 8010's were doing that clean in Spitfire.
Ha ha!!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom970 View Post
Did you windrow for the whole job?? Just wondering if that affected the buildup on the service deck. Maybe its different up there on a 40 but the 9120 never did that, as bad. A little near the hyd tank and rear step. Did a fair bit of windrowing too and thats when it was worse than with spreaders on.

Looks like you found some wedgetail to get that sample. The old 8010's were doing that clean in Spitfire.
Ha ha!!
Not the whole job .... but a few thousand was done. Not any real difference if windrowing or with the spreaders on. A bloke over the hill has an 7230 with the latest "whale-tail" spreader & he says his piles up real bad in the same area.
Everywhere else in the engine compartment is kept very clean.
Sample's from Bolac - didn't look like that when I first started in Mace The concave mods have made a big difference in those tough to thresh varieties.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 06:33 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4673 Post(s)
Did you just keep your front Rod?
Isn't that the new CNH front?
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Great write up. Posts like this really make the forum a valuable resource.
SWMan, w-mFarms and SWFarmService like this.

The more they overthink the plumbing...the easier it is to stop up the drain.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 874 Post(s)
When you took off the spreaders, I see the shafts sticking out there. Are the motors still spinning? Or did you trick the sensor into thinking the combine was in windrow mode, thus shutting down the spreaders? Edit: nevermind I see the spreader frame is retracted in windrow mode.

Nice mods, especially on the radiator wand. I guess when you drop over half a million on a piece of machinery you can't expect everything to work right from the factory.

Nice sig, nilolin22. True to day, and will still be true when Scotty says it in the 23rd century!

Last edited by torriem; 12-13-2015 at 11:57 AM.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
Did you just keep your front Rod?
Isn't that the new CNH front?
Kept my D60. MacDon are a long way ahead of "the new CNH" draper...... & probably will always be.

Speaking of MacDon, what are you paying for new knife sections, knife guards, center drapers etc etc?

Last edited by rod; 12-13-2015 at 02:50 PM.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 03:53 PM
HI!

Quoted: 4673 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod View Post
Kept my D60. MacDon are a long way ahead of "the new CNH" draper...... & probably will always be.

Speaking of MacDon, what are you paying for new knife sections, knife guards, center drapers etc etc?
Ok, so why the yellow front on the red header?

Never bought any knife parts this year not counting the complete assembly (long story) sorry.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page