Sell me on a 7120 - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Sell me on a 7120

I haven't run a red combine since 2388's so I have been out of the loop as far as 10 and 20 series are concerned, I'm curious what advantages you guys see the 7120 having over a 9770. I'm not interested in resale value, dealer support, or reliability. What I would like to know is what machine specific areas you think the 7120 is better than a 9770 (or deficient) in wheat, barley, canola, lentils and beans. Not looking for a color war just opinions on why you run the gear you do and where you think it outshines the opposition. Hopefully there are some of you on here that have firsthand experience running both. I know the JD powercast chopper will spread a genuine 40' but what about the magnacut chopper? Interested to hear your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
One feature that could be an advantage of disadvantage depending on how you view it is the drive system on the 7120. The rotor and feeder house are run by CVT's and have the ability to reverse. Also the SLS system is simpler IMO. If you are running a stripper head the CVT feederhouse/header drive can handle more HP, I think I read somewhere that it is rated for 150+ hp. I haven't heard of any issues with the CVT's so I would put them in the plus category. I like the cab better on the Case, it is very roomy and quite. The unloading drive has more wrap on the sprockets and a oiled gearbox instead of the open sprockets that are noisy. I've only snooped around on the 10/20 series, and I own a 2188 and 2388. I've also run my neighbors 9660, which is most of my Deere experience.

post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 09:40 PM
bud

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Ran a 8120 beside a 9870 all fall. This is what I noticed.

8120 vs Deere:
Cab is quieter, visibility is better (small corner post), pro 600 is much easier to see on Case machine. Hopper extensions, even with crary extensions are much easier to fold down on case. Self leveling shoe is awesome on case. In dry conditions where the straw is breaking up to dust, the case is more capacity than the deere (bigger shoe). If you bale straw, you can drop the straw and still spread the chaff with case. Much easier to change transmission gears in the case, vs the gear shift lever in the deere. Electric park brake is also nice in Case. Easy to clean cab window in case because it tips in to the cab. Rotor reverses on case, but it also seems to plug much easier than the deere.

Deere 9870 vs case:
Much more available power in the deere. It performs better than the case in very tough straw. Straw chopper is better in the deere. It chops finer and works very well in tough straw. The case magna cut chopper is very good, but it really sucks up the power. Deere unloads the grain tank way faster. Case is fast on the top 1/3 of the tank, but really slows down as the tank gets to 1/2 full. Deere seems to unload at full speed all the way to the bottom. Unloading auger seems to be slightly longer on the deere than the case, and comes ahead a little bit more, so is easier to see when unloading. Wear on the threshing elements seems to be much less on the deere than the case at the end of the season. Feeder chain seems to be better in the deere. Had more than one fail on the case. If threshing conditions are somewhat tough (so you are not overloading the shoe) the deere seems to have slightly more capacity than the case. Wiring harness seems to be better on the deere.

Overall, between the 2 machines, if the case could have as good an unloading auger as the deere, then the case would be the clear winner in my opinion. Today, I would call it a dead heat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
7120 v's 9770

30 more horse power

.91m2 more cleaning area

Larger seperation area

Concaves or modules are a lot easier to remove / replace - no need for hard thresh kits or different seperation set-ups for most crops in most conditions

Self levelling cleaning system standard

CVT rotor drive with reverser

Less drive components - chains / belts / grease points

Less wear points with transition cone compared to F.A.S.T system

15 bushel larger grain tank

3.2 bushel Case IH to John Deere 3.3 bushel - JD .1 of a bushel faster compared to 15 bushel more capacity - of course it would feel they take longer to unload

Headland system to slow hydraulic driven fan down on turns to limit grain loss

One console with all the information you need at your finger tips

Extenda Wear threshing, seperating and unloading components - not sure on Deere

These are a few things off the top of my head. Interesting to hear other peoples thoughts.
They are a totally different class of machine with their drive system and probably are a little more expensive at list.

A more accurate comparison can be made between a 7088 and a 9770 (both belt drive) - but hp, seperation and cleaning systems are speced larger on the 7088.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud View Post
Ran a 8120 beside a 9870 all fall. This is what I noticed.

8120 vs Deere:
Cab is quieter, visibility is better (small corner post), pro 600 is much easier to see on Case machine. Hopper extensions, even with crary extensions are much easier to fold down on case. Self leveling shoe is awesome on case. In dry conditions where the straw is breaking up to dust, the case is more capacity than the deere (bigger shoe). If you bale straw, you can drop the straw and still spread the chaff with case. Much easier to change transmission gears in the case, vs the gear shift lever in the deere. Electric park brake is also nice in Case. Easy to clean cab window in case because it tips in to the cab. Rotor reverses on case, but it also seems to plug much easier than the deere.

Deere 9870 vs case:
Much more available power in the deere. It performs better than the case in very tough straw. Straw chopper is better in the deere. It chops finer and works very well in tough straw. The case magna cut chopper is very good, but it really sucks up the power. Deere unloads the grain tank way faster. Case is fast on the top 1/3 of the tank, but really slows down as the tank gets to 1/2 full. Deere seems to unload at full speed all the way to the bottom. Unloading auger seems to be slightly longer on the deere than the case, and comes ahead a little bit more, so is easier to see when unloading. Wear on the threshing elements seems to be much less on the deere than the case at the end of the season. Feeder chain seems to be better in the deere. Had more than one fail on the case. If threshing conditions are somewhat tough (so you are not overloading the shoe) the deere seems to have slightly more capacity than the case. Wiring harness seems to be better on the deere.

Overall, between the 2 machines, if the case could have as good an unloading auger as the deere, then the case would be the clear winner in my opinion. Today, I would call it a dead heat.
Great post bud, that's exactly the sort of thing i'm after. Interesting observations regarding the unloading rates.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i would have to agree with caseihaxialflow with this i am a owner operator of the 8120 and preveious 8010 and have drove the deeres.
I would like to add the 120k prices diff on the deere compared to the 7120 dont know what your dealers are like where you are. this was last year as well.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseihaxialflow View Post
7120 v's 9770

30 more horse power

.91m2 more cleaning area

Larger seperation area

Concaves or modules are a lot easier to remove / replace - no need for hard thresh kits or different seperation set-ups for most crops in most conditions

Self levelling cleaning system standard

CVT rotor drive with reverser

Less drive components - chains / belts / grease points

Less wear points with transition cone compared to F.A.S.T system

15 bushel larger grain tank

3.2 bushel Case IH to John Deere 3.3 bushel - JD .1 of a bushel faster compared to 15 bushel more capacity - of course it would feel they take longer to unload

Headland system to slow hydraulic driven fan down on turns to limit grain loss

One console with all the information you need at your finger tips

Extenda Wear threshing, seperating and unloading components - not sure on Deere

These are a few things off the top of my head. Interesting to hear other peoples thoughts.
They are a totally different class of machine with their drive system and probably are a little more expensive at list.

A more accurate comparison can be made between a 7088 and a 9770 (both belt drive) - but hp, seperation and cleaning systems are speced larger on the 7088.
No offence but i can read a brochure to, what are the real world benefits of this? I know the 7120 has more cleaning area on paper but where is the extra area coming from? Is it wider than the 9770? Can it be effectivly used? The 9870 has .51m2 more cleaning area than the 9770 on paper but all of that comes from the pre cleaner and has little real world value. I have no use for the SLS so not fussed on the the merits of either system. As far as the sep area i thought they both ran 30" rotors, is the 7120 longer? I can't seem to find the length of the 7120 anywhere.

The hp is an interesting one, both 9L motors and both rated at 360 hp, both have 25 hp power boosts but the 7120 also claims a horsepower rise of 30 hp in addition to the power boost. What's the difference between a power boost and a hp rise? I'm a bit confused here as the 6088 and 8120 say they have a hp rise only but the 7088 and 7120 claim a hp rise and a power boost

The CVT drive is an undoubted benefit but my only question on that would be the power required to drive it, would it take any more power than a belt?

Right now for me the deere cab and control layout is ahead of the case simply because it's what i know so i'm trying to put the cab aside and focus on the machine itself. The cab is one of those things that you'd get used to on either brand with some time in the seat.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
7120Case IH Rotor Length = 102.8"
9770 John Deere Rotor Length = 123"

John Deere - Helpful links Edit - I guess JD won't let that link be posted, it is on the JD website.

http://comparison.caseih.com/display...Q2FzZUlIU2l0ZQ==

Those are the links to each manufacturers comparisons of the two machines.

How does Case IH arrive at a total cleaning area of 8,370 sq in? I can add and the numbers (precleaner area, chaffer area and seive area) only equal 6,944 sq in for the CIH. Very comparable to Deeres 6,964 sq in.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgreen View Post
7120Case IH Rotor Length = 102.8"
9770 John Deere Rotor Length = 123"

John Deere - Helpful links Edit - I guess JD won't let that link be posted, it is on the JD website.

http://comparison.caseih.com/display...Q2FzZUlIU2l0ZQ==

Those are the links to each manufacturers comparisons of the two machines.

How does Case IH arrive at a total cleaning area of 8,370 sq in? I can add and the numbers (precleaner area, chaffer area and seive area) only equal 6,944 sq in for the CIH. Very comparable to Deeres 6,964 sq in.
I couldn't find the deere one but i had a bit of a look at the case comparison and i see what you mean about the cleaning area. The 7120 has a slighlty bigger pre cleaner and chaffer and the 9770 a bigger sieve but overall close enough to the same but yeah i'd like to know where the extra cleaning area comes from. The sep area also has me a bit miffed, they list the 7120 as having more overal seperating area but it has a shorter rotor, shorter cage and less concave area
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
The only thing I can think of is more wrap on the CIH, 180 degrees versus 156ish.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page