Need cheap swather - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFarmService View Post
Why is that? Mine would be 16 years old, did they make them bad back then? It was pretty heavy considering what else was out there especially all the plastic ones
New ones are way worse, some aren't even round!

A good 10' steel roller usually brings $1000 in harvest time around here so keep that in mind before you hit it with the chop saw.

As for the original question those 6000/6500 swathers were typical MacDon under-engineering of the day. Bigger ones were tippy and the header tubes were prone to cracking/bending. I owned one and it was constant fixing. The same vintage of Massey was far superior.

Too many swathers around, they will go cheap at sales this year again. If you aim high you may be able to get something way newer for not much more money.

SWFarmService likes this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
New ones are way worse, some aren't even round!

A good 10' steel roller usually brings $1000 in harvest time around here so keep that in mind before you hit it with the chop saw.

As for the original question those 6000/6500 swathers were typical MacDon under-engineering of the day. Bigger ones were tippy and the header tubes were prone to cracking/bending. I owned one and it was constant fixing. The same vintage of Massey was far superior.

Too many swathers around, they will go cheap at sales this year again. If you aim high you may be able to get something way newer for not much more money.
Are the Massey 885's and JD 2360's built better than the Case ih? I just thought they were all the same. The 30ft Massey 200 that sold last year for 5k was just west of Killarney on the highway. In fact RME has a couple 8820's listed for their Killarney location and a 8825 at Boissevain currently.

Last edited by TotaledmyGN; 01-31-2016 at 09:22 PM.
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotaledmyGN View Post
Are the Massey 885's and JD 2360's built better than the Case ih? I just thought they were all the same.
Yes, that is the same crap.......different pile.

The next newer Massey(which probably was the 200), was I believe a re-incarnation of the CCIL swather??? Somebody will know this for sure. They had hydraulic drives and worked better in canola. Just a nicer all around swather.

RME in Killarney has a few hundred feet of swathers currently being used as snow-fence. Go make them an offer, you never know.

Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, that is the same crap.......different pile.

I didn't think they were that bad , have a '90 Westward 7000 , has been an excellent machine , worst part about it was the Schumacer knife system it had (what a pile of crap) , has a very good opening for canola (45in) I believe ! Had a CIH 6000 and for whatever reason it had a narrower opening , but have seen CIH 30ft headers from 6000's with the same width opening as my Westward 7000, not sure what the scoop is ?? Both mine had double swath yet the CIH was smaller !!
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via MSN to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via Yahoo to Christian A. Herrnboeck
The Massey after the 885 was the 200.

That was a red version of the CCIL 722.

The 722 and 742 were a quantum leap over the prior 550 CCIL and over the 885 Westward.

Why?

Fully hydrostatic drives, good cab, heavily built. big opening. Isuzu diesel power.

What's really cool? Mr. Richard Kirkby designed these swathers... I do believe they are his first project as lead, right @Don Boles?

The 742, which never made it into red Massey paint was way ahead of its time. 42 feet wide, variable speed drapers, a header that floated and was split so it could follow the ground. First swather over 100hp.... Oh yeah, and it was reverse station... you know, like a Macdon TwinDirection... It also had the first version of HarvestManager (MacDon's display for their M series)....

Now, why would Macdon bring all their prior competitor's innovations into their units 20 years later?

Well... Guess were Richard Kirkby now works!

I had a chance to meet this fine fellow a few years ago, while helping Don swath canola... That was probably the most fun I ever had for a harvest time... Oh yeah, and also when I developed a real hatred for Trimble Autosteer (remember that run around, Don? LOL!!!)

When they first came out, there was 12 of them within 10 miles of Humboldt... Kinda what got KMK sales going... they moved more CCIL 742s than any other dealership in W. Canada.

FYI, the CCIL swathers were built in Portage La Prairie, MB... not even 45 minutes from Macdon's factory, which is on the south end of Winnipeg.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHC560 View Post
I didn't think they were that bad , have a '90 Westward 7000 , has been an excellent machine , worst part about it was the Schumacer knife system it had (what a pile of crap) , has a very good opening for canola (45in) I believe ! Had a CIH 6000 and for whatever reason it had a narrower opening , but have seen CIH 30ft headers from 6000's with the same width opening as my Westward 7000, not sure what the scoop is ?? Both mine had double swath yet the CIH was smaller !!
I had a 30' 6000. I can't remember what the opening was but not as much as newer swathers. I just had a lot of driveline issues and it had a crappy original MacDon pickup reel that would sag about a foot.

Clearly we don't agree on the Schumacher knife, you mustn't have any stones...

I knew somebody would have the goods on the CCIL/Massey thing, thanks Christian!

Orlando A. Battista
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Quote:
I had a 30' 6000. I can't remember what the opening was but not as much as newer swathers. I just had a lot of driveline issues and it had a crappy original MacDon pickup reel that would sag about a foot.

Clearly we don't agree on the Schumacher knife, you mustn't have any stones...

I knew somebody would have the goods on the CCIL/Massey thing, thanks Christian!
That's weird , my WW 7000 was older than the CIH 6000 , yet the opening was bigger on the WW !! I actually found a 30ft header off a CIH 6000 @ Combineworld and it had the bigger opening , can't figure on the reasoning ?? Stones , OH YA I have lots , Schumacher JMO still sucks , way farther ahead with regular style hardened guards and coarse serrated sections , both money and time !!
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I originally thought these 2 swathers at auction might sell for 5-8k but after reading this thread I'm thinking more along the lines of 3-4k. If dealers are advertising 8820-8825's for 12-15k how much lower would they go for a cash deal? If you had a choice between an 8820 or MF 200 with similiar hours/condition which would be the better unit? thanks
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
I have had both a722 and an 8825 same as 8820 but electric over hydraulic control.
The 722/200mf is by far as nicer swather to run. Better hydro no chain wheel drives the Isuzu is a much smoother running engine and more fuel efficient.
The 8820/25 table run smoother with the dual knife drive but can be a pain and expensive to fix the 200 with the Schumacher is a better drive.
Both gave good service the Massey roller bearings are not as good as the Hesston but easier to replace.
If I was buying one again it would be the Massey.

When life gives you lemons
Break out the Tequila
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
We have a massey 2200 and we are not really impressed with the machine . It was really put together cheaply and poorly -- hydraulic hoses just rubbing on sharp metal edges to the reel and dapier control system using a couple of toy motors that fall apart to the main hydraulic control valve which you can not change the drop rate of the header so you have to slow down for a ditch . Really poorly put together and when you want to get parts you have to pay ridiculously -- had the hydro steering ball joints fall apart because they were put together wrong and had to order them through massey as they were specially made only for the swather and had to pay a ridiculous price for them . Also has a really poorly designed cab and control lever for the hydro . We have a newer macdon and you can really see the difference in good engineering .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page