Precision Air 3430 meter rpm issue - The Combine Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Precision Air 3430 meter rpm issue

First day with this cart, everything was running rickety boo and now my tank 1 meter is bouncing all over the place. Dropped my connection to check for plugging (clear) so I'm wondering if this is an electronic issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Check the gap in the wheel speed sensor. Too wide a gap and that can happen with the metering.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Also if the meter is turning on the slow end of things, sometimes if the bearings are tight or the product is tougher to meter it can be an issue, especially if you are running a slower fan speed. Seems there sometimes isn't enough oil pressure to turn it.
torriem likes this.

Follow me on Twitter @ndykmn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Check the bearings on the electric motor that drives the hydraulic torque multiplier . We had the outer bearings start to seize up from lack of lube due to being outside .
torriem likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
have that problem also especially in canola with slow shaft speed have to bring fan speed up to 33-3400 to get more oil flow to tourqe multipliers seems worse on a warmer day
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 01:08 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4522 Post(s)
What is the expected meter rpm?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:56 PM

Try lowering your meter sensitivity setting
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
I'd say all the above comments are great idea's ( some never even donned on me, now if I can remember them when I have this issue again ! ), but will second the comment of lowering the "tune" setting if its set on the high side. I had issues the first year I had the similar cart with that very problem and it also happened to be tank 1 ironically. The problem was not there initially but then the alternator crapped out and the low voltage warning screen came up although still the meters ran properly. Then I changed the alternator and that strong/high voltage seemed to trigger the erratic speed variations and in talking to a farmer familiar with theses units gave ideas and one of them was to lower that tune number. I believe it had been set from the prior owner at 50 or 60 and I lowered it to 10. I expect that is making it lazy as far as responding to tractor speed changes and how it ramps up speed when the tool is lowered into the ground to seed but at least it got rid of that wild behavior as the roller was coming to a stop almost and then speeding way up and kept on repeating that cycle. The tune number is found on the tank settings page for each of the three tank rollers so all three rollers can be given their own tune number if that is found to be of a benefit. Also I would say check the voltage at the battery when the fan is running and see what that reads, check/clean the battery connections as well as making sure the spade connectors are firmly onto the relay under the battery cover, and wires at the alternator, and the wiring onto the electric motor at the metering roll all are snug and not corroded etc.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

I'd like to thank everyone for their insights on my issue, turns out I'm an idiot though and totally forgot about the alternator on the cart. I blew a belt, was back running very quickly. Thanks though.

I do have a new issue however, we are going to seed canola with this unit so we ordered new wear strip and a whole new extra fine roller to go into tank 1.
I couldn't close the seed tray with the new roller, so after fighting with mechanic about it I got the high clearance flutes. That all fits great now except the blocker plate in the middle is to thick and creates a gap big enough I'm afraid canola will just pour through it
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
When you attempted to install the extra fine low clearance roller, did you make sure to first remove the baffle plate which has the plastic dividers riveted onto the side. Also that you made sure to have the little plastic nub sticking out of the center section of the roller facing the open space so it wasn't interfering with the closing. It is indeed a close tolerance fit for that roller and I discovered in my cart which was used when it came into my hands, the low clearance roller would not rotate freely in one of the tanks I intended to use it in as it rubbed the roof so to speak of the housing assembly and found that there is room for misalignment of the assembly when put together in the first place and once its together for a while the chances of backing off the bolts to realign the roof to end places and so on without twisting off the bolts would be about nil. Also there are rubber end caps on the rollers of older units and a newer silicone type caps which are supposed to be better but for whatever reasons it might become too tight with the silicone end caps. I'd suggest you try having someone hold the latches as well as they can with the roller in place and try turning it with pliers on the end and feel to see if the roller is hitting something and then if so, take some substance to coat onto the parts you believe are being touched by the roller and turn it some and see where its hitting, the roof as I call it, or maybe its hitting the wear strip, etc.

But if the roller you are going to use is the one you just purchased, or if you can figure out how to fit the low clearance extra fine roller, don't go crazy with pouring in a bunch of canola as that could be a very expensive few acres !. Put in a small quantity of lets say three bags at maximum and what I did was seed that down ( yes I did an initial calibration ) , then dump the remaining contents into a large rectangular tub to catch it, and weigh it accurately once you poured it into a pail for example and subtract that from the original three bags, then you will know if you are on the right track very quickly. You may have or if not, an accurate digital hanging scale.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page