flotation in rain saturated wheat fields - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Tracks are THE answer for wet fields. Few years back after 45" of rain I traded for tracks because I knew I had a problem coming. Doesn't matter how much tires were on local machines everything was getting stuck, I was driving around with a 40' head and full hopper. Ruts were "less bad" too. Never regretted that decision and every combine from now on will have tracks.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
I totally agree Swman. We were in a mess of mud in the fall of 2016 and I ended up buying a used Lexion with tracks. The tracks with 4wd would go through anything and would not make too big of a mess of the ground.

Transaxial likes this.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:00 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4695 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Tracks are THE answer for wet fields.
Never regretted that decision and every combine from now on will have tracks.
Just as important Claas tracks are better all the time for an assortment of reasons (and those reasons are about to become even more so) other manufacturers are just patch work add ons, not fully integrated nor dedicated.
And far more expensive for a worse setup. Fact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:15 PM
John Force - Legend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
What ever you end up doing with the front I would definitely find a budget for some 28Lx26’s for the back. Or even wider. CIH have a wider rear now for rice machines.

As said earlier once the grain tank fills the little rears will probably dig in and drag the rest of the machine down or to a standstill.

Your obviously looking to just stay on top of spongey ground but what happens once you sink? Is it bottomless? Hit s bottom and power thru? Is it the type of soil that will clean off a flat shallow treaded tyre?

Square box........
Round pizza.......
Triangle pieces....

Iam confused......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneagle5 View Post
anyone have experience with LSW1250/45R46 tires in soft conditions ?
A friend of mine has a Lexion 580R and farms in some hilly land with deep black, high organic soil. It is often too wet in the low areas but if you can stay on top of the stubble and root layer you can usually keep going. A few years ago he added the powered rear axle with 750 x 26 Michelins. A good improvement over dragging the rear tires. A couple years ago when faced with extreme wet harvest conditions he upgraded the drivers to 1250 x 46 on a new set of rims that balance the offset as good as you can. They are amazing in soft ground. The rear tires will now make tracks well before the drivers. I have a picture of that showing driving in an inch or two of water and only leaving lug marks in the stubble. I think the 1250s were around $15,000 with rims and it all fits and works very well. Worth the money. Less than an inch of clearance between the top of the tire and the side panel but no problems. The 900 takeoffs make great tires for the NH3 cart too! And you always have a set of spares.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Is this a similar system that you had on your Deere four wheel drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
By pure coincidence this just showed up

https://youtu.be/zxQ5fcfRCXA

Not the system but the graphics/demo showing proper inflation advantages.

Still not good enough to maximize central tire inflation advantages, that will NOT happen until automatic rolling radius detection and compensation systems appear.
When that happens tires will put a run on tracks again.
Donít you just love cyclical technology development?!

Statistics are like a Bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal, is vital.

Aaron Levenstien
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:05 AM
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 712alberta View Post
Is this a similar system that you had on your Deere four wheel drive?
No, while marketed by PTG (also a German company) they utilized inner axle rotating unions instead of external.

However, the sprayer setup was very similar to that Claas setup.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
In 2016 some neighbors went with those really wide LSW tires and they still got stuck all the time.

We went with Soucy tracks. We never got stuck anywhere but it was close at times.

If I was in your situation I'd find some tracks. The Soucy ones worked well but were super high maintenance. If I had to do it over I think I'd buy the Camso ones.

I haven't read through this thread yet either but I'm sure Claas guys are probably here going on about how their tracks are the bestestestestest and you should trade your entire combine for one of theirs because their tracks are designed for the machine and they are the awesomest and they are basically the Jesus of combines/track systems, back in the mud bog of 16 we had here only one combine on tracks that I know of got stuck and it was a Lexion… Just sayin.

Big duals don't stand a chance. That 9120 Case in the picture below got a set of Soucy tracks after the attempt made where that stuck happened.

Best of luck, I don't envy the situation you're in, we were just there and '16 still feels like just yesterday. Even with how dry it is here I still can't sleep when I hear it raining. Gives me wicked anxiety.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8704.JPG (128.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9010.JPG (163.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9003.JPG (133.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8958.JPG (159.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9004.JPG (137.9 KB, 36 views)
kevlar likes this.

Last edited by jcalder; 06-03-2019 at 12:28 AM.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:34 AM
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalder View Post
I haven't read through this thread yet either but I'm sure Claas guys are probably here going on about how their tracks are the bestestestestest and you should trade your entire combine for one of theirs because their tracks are designed for the machine and they are the awesomest and they are basically the Jesus of combines/track systems
All correct.
And in three months there be two more reasons.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
You can't compare factory duals to tracks. Here that Case would have had triples on it. There was no large machine in our area only running factory duals. Had a picture of a neighbour running quads. No, not the best way to go but if you are going to run something one or two years you have some decisions on how big your bank account is. I can appreciate what one 1250 tire can do vs dual 650s but that also depends on what conditions you are dealing with too. Dual 650s spread the weight over a larger area and when driving on a thin layer of top soil that covers pudding below it, it was important to disperse the weight. No doubt tracks are good, but if you actually have to factor in cost and it is a one time thing then straddle duals or triples are an option. And yes, bigger rear tires. We ran 540-26s with the 30.5 + 18. 4 duals, otherwise the back end became the problem area. And no, I don't recall any combines running triples sitting with tore up drives. Ours is still running fine too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page