2188 feederhouse slugging. - The Combine Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2188 feederhouse slugging.

I have a 2188, that this winter, I fixed the feeder house because it was slugging last year. Which I thought was the problem. I put a new floor in, chain, sprockets, drum, the works the front is basically all redone. I ran it, and it worked better at feeding, But, if it gets any wet or green, or just will randomly slug. Now, I know my feeder house chain is on correctly. I do have a rock trap and impeller, it is the OEM 3 side, which is also where it will slug. Here is the rub when it slugs it throws the chain on the side that connects the drive/beater/reverser. I thought it was not tensioned enough, put on a spring when rebuilding and a new chain there, yet it still slugs at the beaters. Rotor will be totally empty. Rebuilt rotor also and put in new veins so it should be eating like a champ. My 1680 does not have the stone retarder/trap beater, and will cut all things at all hours, with this 2188 if it gets a hint of moisture, it will plug at the stone impeller. I have searched the forum with info on the razor beater, which is my next purchase. But just need to know OEM settings for now to get through this harvest this year. Will show a picture of my set up on the side. I also am using the 32 gear and making sure it is slow speed and not high speed with the beater. Any pro tips will help. I live in Kansas and never have had a stone trap beater before thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 907820B2-7EBF-44CC-825A-6B7C3F01D1C9_1561313773880.jpeg (2.28 MB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I have a razor beater as well as a pfp parts staggered beater. Both work about the same. Big improvement from the OEM beater. Also what rotor front do you run? An accellor front or kile front will make a huge difference over the old elephant ears for feeding.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.t.dodge View Post
I have a razor beater as well as a pfp parts staggered beater. Both work about the same. Big improvement from the OEM beater. Also what rotor front do you run? An accellor front or kile front will make a huge difference over the old elephant ears for feeding.
Just the standard elephant ears, never have done anything other than OEM. Elephants ears are not new, but not in bad condition. Thanks for the quick reply. Will look into the front kits too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:21 PM

Quick fix for this year if you dont have stones....1-2 hrs of work. Remove stone trap section that is attached to feeder house.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quick fix for this year if you dont have stones....1-2 hrs of work. Remove stone trap section that is attached to feeder house.
Is that an option? Thought it needed that piece? Do you have a picture of it with it off?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:27 PM

I wouldn't personally run without it. But I have lots of stones. I have seen some old 1480s without a stone trap at all. There should be 2 pins that attach the feeder house to the stone trap and 2 pins that attach the stone trap to the machine. I believe you can just pull the stone trap out completely.
Hopefully someone else can confirm my idea before you go ahead and do it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I wouldn't personally run without it. But I have lots of stones. I have seen some old 1480s without a stone trap at all. There should be 2 pins that attach the feeder house to the stone trap and 2 pins that attach the stone trap to the machine. I believe you can just pull the stone trap out completely.
Hopefully someone else can confirm my idea before you go ahead and do it.
I had it off, and almost did that but was worried I would have to replace the belt running it with a smaller one since it would be now 6 inches or more shorter with the trap off. But if you could, I probably would for now until I could get the razor on. Not against the rock trap, but if it allows me to cut again, I would take it off in a minute.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:38 PM

Hmmm. Yes the triple belt on the left side hey? I'm nowhere near my farm to go take a look to help you out on that. You're probably right. Would need a shorter belt.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
When you rebuilt the feeder house did you rebuild the slip clutch? I rebuilt my slip clutch two years ago and it made it a totally different machine .. we only plugged it a handful of times last year.. also I'm assuming you made sure your sprockets were aligned when you put it back together if they are misaligned could be why you are throwing chains
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Barn
Second the Razor beater. Will make a different combine out of it. We had the exact same issue on 2 of them and that cleared the issue in a hurry. Not a bad job at all. Change the end bearings when you are in there. Good Luck. You will love that change.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page