Combustion gas in coolant 9240 - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 12:32 AM
John Force - Legend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Pretty sure there has been a run of “porous” heads here in OZ a few years back.........

Wouldn’t think it would still be a problem in a late model machine like that tho..........

No bubbles in your header tank is a good sign but you would need the thing up at harvest temps to be sure

Square box........
Round pizza.......
Triangle pieces....

Iam confused......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, hard to get the thing past 178 just testing. It did almost touch 200 just transporting on he flat. Don’t know if that’s normal or not. I don’t know where that combine would run normally. My last combine was a 7120 and it would run 180-190 doing the same thing, but totally different engine and emissions, so really no comparison.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
Has anyone offered a theory for the low coolant pump intake pressure warning? It could be a poor connection on the sensor or an out of spec sensor.

I suspect itís maintaing its coolant volume just fine, but it sure would be nice to know that before you need to use it. The coolant hoses are going to be as firm as the pressure cap relief pressure is all I can say about that.
J

When I say itís going to be firm, I mean the hose is going to be rock hard, to the point you canít even squeeze it. System pressure should be around 17 psi if I recall correctly. This is how Iíve diagnosed dozens of cracked heads/blown head gaskets in 6.0L fords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
Iím not real familiar with the 16 litre, I only drove one on a demo for a day. As far as I can recall the turbos on the smaller engine in the large tractors uses traditional oil cooling, but I wasnít the person that changed it out, so I donít actually know. The head gasket could also cause this weird symptom. I would have fingered it as the most likely problem, but they will have their reasons for their guesses based on service trends.
Youíre right, the turbos are oil cooled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

I’ve seen cooling system pressure used when diagnosing head gasket failures, but I’ve never used it myself. Do you think that without having any bubbles out the overflow and a low coolant pressure codes being set, that it would still pressure up?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
I wouldn’t be at all surprised if a tech can connect a laptop to a location under the buddy seat and monitor or possibly even record a graph of the cooling system pressure from that coolant pump intake pressure sensor. It would seem to me that this is what it was intended for but I don’t know. Maybe you can take it out on the road and climb a hill to load it?

There would need to be a very serious gasket leak or a crack for the gas volume to exceed the gas flow volume capacity of the radiator cap, which is just a rudimentary relief valve.

I think most 6 litre fords could demonstrate that at some point.

Keep in mind you have never had a high pressure warning, only a low one! And no visually detectable bubbles

Last edited by Haystack; 07-02-2019 at 11:37 AM.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:31 AM

Does this machine have a pressurized metal coolant tank located above the head like the tractors? If so it likely should be 100% full. Sometimes the coolant volume can get low in that tank if the final plastic coolant recovery tank routinely siphons itself empty on cool off.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

I don’t think it has a metal tank, just the plastic tank.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 05:53 PM

It could be that the tractors only need that tank above the engine because the radiator is mounted so low in relation to the head because of the downward sloped hood.

We had a 50’s era bulldozer once with a non presuized cooling system that would crack the rear head if you were working it nose down into a hole.
On a combine this would be a left to right tilt issue.

Last edited by Haystack; 07-02-2019 at 05:56 PM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:05 PM
KBF

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Take her back get a different one and never look back. Hope dealer takes care of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page