The Combine Forum

The Combine Forum (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/)
-   Case IH (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/7-case-ih/)
-   -   Combustion gas in coolant 9240 (https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/7-case-ih/332897-combustion-gas-coolant-9240-a.html)

ATKO 06-30-2019 09:53 PM

Combustion gas in coolant 9240

Just bought a used 9240 from my local Case dealer last fall. 1100 engine hours, MY15, so it’s got the 16 litre Iveco with DEF. When I was transporting it home from the dealer, it logged a fault code for low coolant pressure at water pump inlet. So I stuck my combustion gas tester on the surge tank and the liquid changed colour, indicating combustion gas was present. Called the dealer, they tested it and found the same thing. They opened a case file and they are being told it’s either a cracked liner or head. Anyone else run into this before?

Ncf7.3 07-01-2019 08:27 AM

What pressure are you getting in the overflow tank? If you don’t have a gauge to test that, get the machine up to operating temp and try and squeeze the hose going into the top of the radiator. If it’s super hard you likely have a cracked head.

marshall 07-01-2019 10:52 AM

Doesn't sound good either way - will dealer fix it under warranty - either through case or their own . Sounds like the previous owner dumped it because of the problem . Have a 450 quad and have changed antifreeze because neighbor had liner cavitate through because of antifreeze - these engines don't have the filter on them that you can change to put new SCA blocks in to prevent cavitation and is the antifreeze a sca type or long life at least ? If it is regular green I would get a test strip to see if it has any sca protection .

MF cowboy 07-01-2019 11:19 AM

Yes this isn’t sounding good.
Friend had one of these iveco in a case ih 4wd tractor.
Cracked head for whatever reason.
He was long past warranty so the entire bill was his.
Not sure yet just how common a problem this has been just yet.
Iveco parts are pretty outrageous from what I hear.

Haystack 07-01-2019 11:27 AM

Has anyone offered a theory for the low coolant pump intake pressure warning? It could be a poor connection on the sensor or an out of spec sensor.

I suspect it’s maintaing its coolant volume just fine, but it sure would be nice to know that before you need to use it. The coolant hoses are going to be as firm as the pressure cap relief pressure is all I can say about that.

ATKO 07-01-2019 02:38 PM

I did a bottle test and never had any bubbles coming out of the overflow, so I think whatever is going on is just starting. I never did check to see what the pressure was. As soon as they did the gas test and it failed, I took it back to their shop, because I haven’t even logged one rotor hour since buying the unit. I was wondering if anyone knows how logged fault codes work with Iveco, or if there is some sort of history totals for events like overheating, like a Cat. Then I could have them check the history to see if this has been going on for a while, or just starting.

Haystack 07-01-2019 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATKO (Post 3343041)
I did a bottle test and never had any bubbles coming out of the overflow, so I think whatever is going on is just starting...... Then I could have them check the history to see if this has been going on for a while, or just starting.

On the tractors the code history can be read on the cab corner post. It can only display a count up to 13 events that have been reset after that it continues to count the fault occurrences but doesn’t show a higher total number. Once it has had the code reset hit 50 times for that code, it will go into a limp mode or a continuous alarm. Then the ECU must be replaced.

In the situation where this happened that I’m referring to it was a high fuel pressure code, when in fact the pressure was not exceeding the maximum allowed, it was just too high for the given parameters because one turbo bushing was worn causing the back side of the turbine to rub on the the body producing intermittent low boost. (We think) it seems to be fixed after also fixing resistance on the plugged secondary fuel filter sensor connections and replacing the turbo and ECU, a couple of fuel pressure sensors and fuel rail relief valve.

I would be cautious about putting too much faith in a chemical gas test designed to work on something as small as a 1.5 litre automotive engine when applying the result to that 16 litre diesel behemoth that’s just itching to make 1000 HP, maybe?

Now, if you used 6 or 8 times the volume of test fluid and it still changed colour, that would be a bit more concerning.

ATKO 07-01-2019 07:03 PM

I am always a little sceptical of the fluid test as well. Although, the one I used I believe is meant for heavy duty. It’s a Cummins part number for the fluid and the tester. The one the dealer used can be used for either. The fluid turns different colours depending if it’s gasoline or diesel. The fact that it failed both on mine and theirs, along with the low pressure fault codes, is what worries me.

ATKO 07-01-2019 07:10 PM

Is there any other components on that engine where exhaust can enter the cooling system? I didn’t have a chance to look at the engine system before parking it back at the dealers. Is the turbo liquid cooled? I’ve read some old Cursor 16 manuals and they talk about an exhaust flap? Does this have it? Is it also liquid cooled?

Haystack 07-01-2019 09:02 PM

I’m not real familiar with the 16 litre, I only drove one on a demo for a day. As far as I can recall the turbos on the smaller engine in the large tractors uses traditional oil cooling, but I wasn’t the person that changed it out, so I don’t actually know. The head gasket could also cause this weird symptom. I would have fingered it as the most likely problem, but they will have their reasons for their guesses based on service trends.