The Combine Forum banner

Case IH 8230 combine chopper

7K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  furrowjockey 
#1 ·
In need of desperate help...
We plant wheat just for the straw or chaff as some would call it. The problem is, we harvest aroud 1,5 ton per ha to 2,5 ton per ha and the windrow at the back of the combine is too fine for the baler to pick up... Concave settings are small wire conecaves and slotted grates at the back, chopper speed on low and counter knives removed or pulled out... Spiked beaters on the rotor removed and replaced with straight bar beaters.... Is there any other way to prevent the straw from becoming so fine? Removing the chopper blades? Replacing it with a discharge beater is out of the equation due to no stock in country... Please help!!!

#2 ·
Since the mid 70s when IH and Gleaner were the two main rotaries with the problem, it has been hard to pickup and make bales out of the straw. I am not a baler guy but the story was I think a JD hard core baler would make a bale out of the straw from these combines. The baler used to have to wait till the dew came on to make the straw a little tough so it would hang together at all. Maybe combining at night when it is tough would help the baler too. This has always been a reason to run a conventional combine so you could bale the straw. Where is your farm?

#4 ·
I've heard that the problem is worse with the normal chopper with fewer blades than it is with the magnacut fine chopper. I guess the magnacut has so many blades that they act like paddles when the knives are retracted.

Since the chopper should run in low speed when you're not cutting straw, maybe you can figure out a way to make some paddles.

But we used to have a 1680 with no chopper and when the straw was dry, it would break up and disappear with just the spreaders. I think it's the nature of rotors to break up the straw compared to conventional.

I have a neighbor uses a stripper header and then he just goes in with a swather and cuts down the straw for baling. Perfect straw.

#5 ·
Awful job but try putting all your Vanes in the fastest position.

Only other option is open concave more, slow rotor, but then you will struggle with grain loss and sample.

I doubt it’s the chopper. I make a lot of hay rows with an internal chopper CIH.

Have you a large Draper front 45’? The more you can take in the better.

The other problem might just be the baler itself. I have left some awful chaffy, chopped up rows behind the CIH’s and a CR NH at times and the balers have always picked them up just nice.

Reactions: torriem
#11 ·
The baler is Krone Comprima round baler...
We are all big squares so I guess there’s the difference. My limited knowledge of balers tells me a round would certainly not like too much chopped up straw and chaff

As Torriem said, those coastal conditions are when walker machines really go when rotaries are struggling but I guess you want the rotary capacity during the day....

Unfortunately With 30’ you will struggle to make good rows with those yields.

If the straw job is a major component of your enterprise you may be wise investing in a small tube rotor for that machine.
About $12k in OZ.

#13 ·
I shut down my walkers in the morning or evening when tough. The rotory case and deere will cut right through it. I would have also thought the tough straw would have made it through the combine fairly well to be able to bale. I know a deere round baler will bale fairly well. The bales almost explode when the strings get cut. No rolling out those bales.

#15 ·
A little late for your problem in July but you can run your combine the way its equipped and bale with a big square baler. Been running cattle for 30 years and if your use straw for feed mine prefer the finer straw (steak vs hamburger). Been using 3x4x8 or 4x4x8 for years, balers work great in fine straw. Plus hate to haul rounds, can't see what's behind you on the roads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.