Case IH 8230 combine chopper - The Combine Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Case IH 8230 combine chopper

In need of desperate help...
We plant wheat just for the straw or chaff as some would call it. The problem is, we harvest aroud 1,5 ton per ha to 2,5 ton per ha and the windrow at the back of the combine is too fine for the baler to pick up... Concave settings are small wire conecaves and slotted grates at the back, chopper speed on low and counter knives removed or pulled out... Spiked beaters on the rotor removed and replaced with straight bar beaters.... Is there any other way to prevent the straw from becoming so fine? Removing the chopper blades? Replacing it with a discharge beater is out of the equation due to no stock in country... Please help!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Since the mid 70s when IH and Gleaner were the two main rotaries with the problem, it has been hard to pickup and make bales out of the straw. I am not a baler guy but the story was I think a JD hard core baler would make a bale out of the straw from these combines. The baler used to have to wait till the dew came on to make the straw a little tough so it would hang together at all. Maybe combining at night when it is tough would help the baler too. This has always been a reason to run a conventional combine so you could bale the straw. Where is your farm?

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 06:02 PM

Take every other chopper blade out . Make sure to take out in balance pairs.
Leave only single knife on set of bolts .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
I've heard that the problem is worse with the normal chopper with fewer blades than it is with the magnacut fine chopper. I guess the magnacut has so many blades that they act like paddles when the knives are retracted.

Since the chopper should run in low speed when you're not cutting straw, maybe you can figure out a way to make some paddles.

But we used to have a 1680 with no chopper and when the straw was dry, it would break up and disappear with just the spreaders. I think it's the nature of rotors to break up the straw compared to conventional.

I have a neighbor uses a stripper header and then he just goes in with a swather and cuts down the straw for baling. Perfect straw.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 06:36 PM
Carn the Cats

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Awful job but try putting all your Vanes in the fastest position.

Only other option is open concave more, slow rotor, but then you will struggle with grain loss and sample.

I doubt it’s the chopper. I make a lot of hay rows with an internal chopper CIH.

Have you a large Draper front 45’? The more you can take in the better.

The other problem might just be the baler itself. I have left some awful chaffy, chopped up rows behind the CIH’s and a CR NH at times and the balers have always picked them up just nice.
torriem likes this.

Square box........
Round pizza.......
Triangle pieces....

Iam confused......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Barn
Also take out the straight bars and put in regular rasp bars, the straight bars are designed to hold the material in the rotor longer. Our 8120 still chops more than our 7088 does though.
KWO likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

So the 7088 have the regular rasp bars fitted and the 8120 the straight bars?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

We have a 30 ft header fitted, can't go bigger due to uneven fields and very steep hills... Have also a 2144 with a 17 ft header, the baler can pick up the straw nice and clean, but not the 8230's straw... The baler is Krone Comprima round baler...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Farm in South Africa, to close to the coast for a walker combine due to foggy nights and mornings, so rotary combine is the only option
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
That's really interesting. Our 7230 puts out very nice straw when the straw is tough, as I'd expect with damp mornings and foggy nights.

Conventional wisdom (pun intended) around here is that when it's tough (foggy nights and dewy mornings), conventionals can go when a rotary can't do anything but plug.

lanwickum and brazil08 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page