The Combine Forum banner

8120 concaves?

6K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Slip clutch 
#1 ·
Looking to put new concaves in my 8120. Thought I may try them one more year. I tried a bit of 17% moisture wheat just to help make up my mind. I better change them.

Any advice?

Large rotor, not changing bars ( they are a bit worn but should be ok). I hope to pull the rotor and put more money into it for next season. I see helical cut concaves on abilene machine. Do they help thrashing much? I know chrome bars on my walker machines used to crack bad. Do hardened concaves crack worse? I don't plan to $6000-8000 on some special concaves unless some one can really talk me into it. I have another set for my pulses that in great condition.

I do use all the hard thresh plates and covers for my crops. Usually burn up in July as they did again this year.

#7 ·
I’ve found helicals in #1 (LH & RH) work really well in all cereal, pulse & canola.
BUT ..... make sure the concave is level & centre first. 81mm for both here. Can’t stress enough how important this is for flagships in cereals. Top sieve rear curtains as well. I tried other modules & have found the helicals, then OEM LW, then LSW or spirals, give the best bang for your buck ..... in our conditions.
If you’re gagging on 17% ....... maybe you need the max thrash type modules, or maybe you have to wait a bit & harvest at 15% or so.

Attachments

#8 ·
Thank you. I don't cut at 17% unless absolutely needed. I only tried it to give my current concaves a test. Convince my self I needed new ones. I cut 100 bushel worth. My kids showed up and I had to cut another 80 so they could get a ride in the combine. :) I ordered helical for front and small wire for second position. I do have a full set of large wire I use for peas.

I try to cut at 13-14%. At the end of harvest I am usually cutting at 8%.

I am a bit lost what 81mm is referring to?

Thank you for the advice.

#11 ·
I have a set of 4 small wire modules for sale, used one season....like new. Trying to clean my shop, they have been there 4 years!:eek:

#12 ·
Look at the Gordon harvesting web site. He manufactures helical concaves and nickel rub bars for for 23's and 25's. One of his bars takes the place of two OEM's. Don't know if he has anything for flag ship machines. Solved my problem of butts in the sample from shrunken in the head spring wheat.

#13 ·
I now have 2 small wire and 2 helical concaves installed. Certainly an improvement over my old ones. All from abaline machine. Spelling? The helical are not very impressive when it comes to "smooth" surface. one spot may appear 1/4" higher than the rest, some spots low. Not impressed with that. They also do not fit nearly as well as OEM. Had to shim the top side a fair amount with washers to get them to fit. None the same, one fit great. They certainly do a better job thrashing than my old ones did.

#15 ·
I’m harvesting peas with flagship combines. Very dry peas 12% and getting lower every day. I have slots in first row large wire in second row and large in the separating area. Rotor 320 concave 25 fan 980 sieves 16 and 16. I find there’s rotor lost. Cracks are minimal what are your concave set up and setting. It’s a mid to heavy crop. At fist start we travel at 2.2-2.5 mph by 1:00 we are going 3.3 - 4 mph.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.