Flagship Hydrostat Running Hot - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Flagship Hydrostat Running Hot

Made a 2hr road trip with my 14 7230 and my hydrostatic motor temp alarm went off. It was a hot day, like 34C but we’ve worked these machines in lots of conditions like this before. Hydro rad is clean. Hydro oil temp running 135F so it doesn’t seem to be the problem. This combine has option of “economy” mode for fuel savings while roading but didn’t seem to make a difference if it was on or off, still overheated. Is the hydrostat motor going out? 850 eng hours, 650rtr hrs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Barn
Not sure about your 7230, but we had a 7088 that had the '2 speed' hydro, if you would run it in the high position down the road it would overheat, so I just didn't run with that on down the road even though I couldn't go as fast.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:41 PM
KBF

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Is that 135F the hydraulic oil temp or is that the temp or the ground drive hydro stat ?. There are different temp parameters you can watch and those 2 temps will likely be very different. If you are getting a hydrostat over temp alarm then I’d be checking to see what the reading is at the motor. It will be in one the Hydraulics tab screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2486 Post(s)
Confirm with an infrared thermometer the temp of the motor is what the monitor says.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Big difference in hydro motor load when you get into top gear gives them a real workout. Is oil level correct, is oil the correct grade, are you running full engine rpm. are you climbing hills? Be gentle with the hydro handle no brisk acceleration. Was told its best work in the lowest gear that can attain the desired speed let the motor spin a bit fasterwith less torque load. Could be all wrong who knows.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Barn
We found our belts were slipping on the engine fan. Could bottom out the tensioner and it would still slip. Went and got shorter belts from the auto store and then we could put some real tension on them so it could actually cool.

Trent's Custom harvesting, southern manitoba
Cr 970
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Really wash the rads. Change the fan belts if they look rough at all. Change all the hydraulic oil filters, cut them open check for filings. If you're running in high temperatures I would try a 68 or 100wt hydraulic oil. Will handle the heat better and run cooler.

A good 20 minute pressure wash on the rads does wonders for keeping a machine cool.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
We found our belts were slipping on the engine fan. Could bottom out the tensioner and it would still slip. Went and got shorter belts from the auto store and then we could put some real tension on them so it could actually cool.
Not sure about the 230 series but I know that the earlier flagship combines could have the belt put on two ways. The proper way gives way more movement on the tensioner.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfarm View Post
Not sure about the 230 series but I know that the earlier flagship combines could have the belt put on two ways. The proper way gives way more movement on the tensioner.

That's how my 8120 is. Its really easy to put the belt on the wrong way. Everything looks right but it will overheat all the time until you get the belt put on correctly.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Barn
This was fresh off an inspection so I hope they knew how the fan belt should run

Trent's Custom harvesting, southern manitoba
Cr 970
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page