Reverser chain - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Reverser chain

I have just changed the reverser chain again on my 2388 and am wondering if there is a longer lasting chain that anybody has come across . I had a Reynolds heavy chain on for only two years and it started to make funny noises last night so took off and was surprised at how much it had loosened up - you could move it 3" over the almost ten foot length . The chain gets blown off every day and a liberal coat of IH chain and cable lube sprayed on . I've got the cheapest chineese ( powerfist ) chain on now as that is what was in the part bin . Just went to town and bought ten ft of Diamond chain and it cost me $235.00 at motion . Will try that after the princess stuff dies . Previously had tried Rexnord , tsubaki , and it think it was SKF with varying lifetimes . One other thing is that I doo check the chain on the largest sprocket to see if it is getting loose between multiple cogs and when it shows any looseness on the teeth it is done but this last one was still tight on the sprocket but it was like one section was stretched and the idler was rapidly going back and forth from the chain loosening and then tightening .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
this last one was still tight on the sprocket but it was like one section was stretched and the idler was rapidly going back and forth from the chain loosening and then tightening .
Maybe the connecting links were wearing faster than the rest of the chain?

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you checked/replaced the sprockets? If they have been worn, the chain life will be significantly reduced. Finally I have found lubricanting the chain at night has the best results. Gives the material time to soak the lubricant up. If you lubricate and the go to the field, dust will be accumulated on the chain and reduce life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Had checked the connector link but seemed the same when going over the big sprocket . The sprockets seem to be not that worn compared to a new one ( have a smaller high speed one to compare to ) the teeth don't seem to be really worn or have any hooking going on . New chain runs quiet and smooth .
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Pretty sure our dealer supplies us with heavy O Ring chain. They are harder to put on but seem to last and work pretty good. Any other chain needs to be changed every year it seems.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
I always used the thinking of not using lubricant on chains in dirty conditions. Reason being is you are holding the grit to the chain and therefore adding to the things that create wear. Maybe that is wrong thinking. So when I came across this stuff yesterday it got me curious as it addresses this way of thinking.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxima-74920-.../dp/B0012TZ1RU
Being wax based it would not leave a sticky residue, in fact would seal some grit out to an extent if applied and given time to dry before operating. Doing a search on the internet I see wax based lubes show up exclusively as bike chain lube and most often in a bottle vs aerosol so this link is somewhat unique. Teflon based would be similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in