Adding Redekop MAV To Beater on Flagship - The Combine Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Adding Redekop MAV To Beater on Flagship

Looking at 7230 with no chopper. Stopped in at my local case dealer to find out if there is a kit a person can install, couldn't find anything. One of their 30 year veteran mechanics happened by, asked him if he has ever installed one, nope and didn't think anyone at the dealership had ever installed one. Maybe this is a deal breaker? Any after market ones? How much labor to install? Then need processor behind it ( think that's what it's called) to spread straw. Maybe just find a machine with the equipment I need? Found a thread that was talking that choppers actually slow productivity of the machine, to close to rotor and can't feed it through fast enough. Producer was talking about bolting a New Holland chopper on back and that Case is working on a external one?

Last edited by furrowjockey; 10-03-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Would Redekop make a MAV for this model of combine?

Partners likes this.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Redekop makes a chopper for them.
Partners and MF cowboy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Does it have a dual-speed pulley with clutch that drives the beater? Or is it just a large, single pulley on it? I assume also there are no stationary teeth installed. If you were to install a chopper (see below), you'd need the dual speed stuff and also to install the stationary teeth.

The chopper has always been a weak spot on these machines and a bad design. Mainly the shaft within a shaft design. The inner shaft turns slowly on the big pulley, and the chopper itself spins around that usually coupled to the small fast pulley. The big bearings have been known to run hot and fail when in high speed mode. Also there's a lot of side force on these bearings the way things are mounted which doesn't help (especially the inner shaft). But I've never felt the chopper slowed productivity. It sure takes a lot of power when the straw is tough, but a MAV would also consume a lot of power.

For various reasons (including sheered the clutch teeth), I've been into the big chopper bearings several times. Takes a couple of hours to remove everything and get to where you could replace the bearings. Once you're at that stage, it's not much more work to unbolt the side plate that holds the bearings and allow replacing (or installing) the chopper. So it is doable.

Case offers the MAV as a factory-installed option on the 50 series now.

Last edited by torriem; 10-01-2019 at 12:06 PM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks torriem have not had a chance to look at machine yet, it's a 2013. So your saying if it has the dual speed pulley I can install the rest with Case parts? Looked at the price of the MAV holy sh** that's almost a quarter of the price of the combine.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
I heard just the other day that MAV for CIH is pretty costly.
But here is the kicker when those case chopper hammers go through the oil pan MAV will be a cheap deal.
chance2 likes this.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrowjockey View Post
Thanks torriem have not had a chance to look at machine yet, it's a 2013. So your saying if it has the dual speed pulley I can install the rest with Case parts? Looked at the price of the MAV holy sh** that's almost a quarter of the price of the combine.
Yes it is possible but looking over the parts list, it will be complicated. Unfortunately my reading of the parts manual shows that the beater only has the one pulley drive on it (large pulley), and no shaft within a shaft. So you'll have to replace the entire drive system. It's not impossible but would take a few days and require a bunch of expensive parts.

Here's the parts diagrams of the things you'd have to replace/install:
https://partstore.caseih.com/us/part...49710ar1138571
https://partstore.caseih.com/us/part...49710ar1138581
https://partstore.caseih.com/us/part...49710ar1138584
https://partstore.caseih.com/us/part...49710ar1138601 (I recommend this manual shifter over the "remote shift")
https://partstore.caseih.com/us/part...49710ar1138597
https://partstore.caseih.com/us/part...812bi1443179-4

Oddly enough the parts list shows the beater as standard and the chopper is optional. I guess corn and bean guys don't need the chopper?
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MF cowboy View Post
I heard just the other day that MAV for CIH is pretty costly.
But here is the kicker when those case chopper hammers go through the oil pan MAV will be a cheap deal.

Neighbor had that happen twice. Stuck into the bottom of the oilpan.

They switched the chopper out.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

torriem, found the kit it's 47846379 for $12,455.00 through Case but no one has one or knows anything about it. Having my parts guy in Havre call Case and find out. Also Larry from Worthington Tractor Parts Sioux Falls contacted me, they sell the Redekop MAV ( 220-212 ) model for $22,710, bit pricey. He says I can drive it off the existing beater drive. Sure wished I could find somebody who has done this. Looks like it should be simple add on. Been at this farming game for 38 years so know how simple things can turn into a cluster F. Let me know what you find out. Your probably close enough and need a winter project. I'm only 60 miles from Milk River.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 06:33 PM

I've lost chopper blades and damaged the tin but I've never had one hit the oil pan. I don't know of anyone who has either. And there are a lot of these machines in my area. Statistically it's unlikely to happen to you. It's a pretty rare thing, but sucks when it does happens.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in