Timing a D436 in a 1440 International - The Combine Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Timing a D436 in a 1440 International

Have to take off and rebuild my Injector pump. What is procedure to get engine to TDC and have the pump lined up in the right place also. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
If you pull the lines off the head and open throttle wide open than crank engine in direction of rotation you can usually see fuel coming out of the fittings. After #2 fires bring it up to 18 degrees BTDC for #1 and then you can pull the pump.
I only copied the information for the model 100 rotary head pump as that should have been standard for that machine.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (164.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (169.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (131.8 KB, 4 views)
lanwickum likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AugZcNFRl5qAhZEF...Do9sQ?e=8ZjBZs

This link is to a folder for international service manuals. disc image file(.ISO), then the "setup" application file. It is an older program but I think it still can work on windows 10. IF you are fairly good with computers you will figure it out. Have not worked on Int. stuff since I built computer I would rather not take time to install and look it for you, sorry. May take a while to download it all. A few gigs of info if I remember.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
If you are at all worried you might not be on #1 cylinder you can always remove the valve cover and watch the valves on the companion cylinder #6 while turning the engine clockwise.
When the both valve rockers become tight on #6 number 1 will be real close to TDC.
Turn backwards from there 1/3 of a turn ,then turn the engine clockwise to bring it up to 18 degrees BTDC
bap likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Red face

[QUOTE=ihc1470;3363673]If you pull the lines off the head and open throttle wide open than crank engine in direction of rotation you can usually see fuel coming out of the fittings. After #2 fires bring it up to 18 degrees BTDC for #1 and then you can pull the pump.

So I followed said instructions and I stopped when I saw fuel come out Number 2. Before I turned it up to 18 BTDC I pulled off the timing cover that covers the gears of the fuel pump. As soon as I did that I see two little dots on the gear coming from the crank gear. They directly mesh perfectly with the gear on the fuel pump (meaning the dots are right across from fuel pump gear right where they mesh). I do not see any dots on gear from fuel pump. So does that mean Im at the right place. The pointer on the block is not pointing to any numbers but if I turn it a 1/4 turn or less I can be pointing to 18 degrees. The mark on the crank pully is at about 11 o clock and the mark on the block is at about 1 o clock.

I see the line on the fuel pump hub is not lined up with the pointer on the fuel pump but looks like if I turn crank to 18 degrees it may line up.

Just wanting to know if I am close to the right spot coming up to the firing stroke on number 1

Thanks for the info so far been very helpful
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:52 PM
bap

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Well that line can line up on exhaust as well, if you are sure you are on #1 compression then at 18 degrees the marks should line up and you are good to go, I usually use MF cowboys method as well then I am sure im on #1 compression.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
It's been years since I did this, but if I remember correctly, it doesn't matter if you are at TDC when the marks are lined up. What's really important is don't rotate the pump once you have it off. When they rebuild it, they will make sure the pump is in the same rotation as when you removed it. Don't mess with it and when you reinstall it it should be fine.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 11:49 PM

Do not look at the marks on the gears as that is only to get the gears in time. Look at page 111 there is a pointer inside the front cover that is part of the fuel pump. There should be a line on the hub that needs to align with the pointer. Most I have seen were painted white so they would show up pretty well. Depending on how new the engine is there is a plug on the pump side of the covers that you can remove to see the timing mark or you can see them with the front cover off. So when your set at 18 degrees on the vibration dampener then the marks on the pump should be lined up also.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Jenner48;3363789][QUOTE=ihc1470;3363673]If you pull the lines off the head and open throttle wide open than crank engine in direction of rotation you can usually see fuel coming out of the fittings. After #2 fires bring it up to 18 degrees BTDC for #1 and then you can pull the pump.

So I followed said instructions and I stopped when I saw fuel come out Number 2. Before I turned it up to 18 BTDC I pulled off the timing cover that covers the gears of the fuel pump. As soon as I did that I see two little dots on the gear coming from the crank gear. They directly mesh perfectly with the gear on the fuel pump (meaning the dots are right across from fuel pump gear right where they mesh). I do not see any dots on gear from fuel pump. So does that mean Im at the right place. The pointer on the block is not pointing to any numbers but if I turn it a 1/4 turn or less I can be pointing to 18 degrees. The mark on the crank pully is at about 11 o clock and the mark on the block is at about 1 o clock.

I see the line on the fuel pump hub is not lined up with the pointer on the fuel pump but looks like if I turn crank to 18 degrees it may line up.

Just wanting to know if I am close to the right spot coming up to the firing stroke on number 1

Thanks for the info so far been very helpful[/QUOTE

Where are the timing marks in degrees?
On the flywheel or the front dampener?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 03:23 AM

Should be on the front dampener for the degrees. If you saw fuel coming out of #2 than yes #1 is next in order. If by chance when you get it back and it is out of time all you have to do is pull the bolts in the pump gear and turn the hub one full turn. It is not that big a deal. As was mentioned above if you send it into a pump shop most of them will set the pump to the cylinder it was on before sending back out. As your turning the motor to 18 degrees stop just the instance that you hit that number. That way all the slack is out of all the gears in the front cover. If you go past be sure to go back far enough that when you come up again that there is no slack in the gears so the timing is set correctly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page