2188 clean grain auger worn - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
2188 clean grain auger worn

Finally got a sample today with the new machine.
It has a hopper topper and the clean grain auger is pretty worn. The slip clutch ratchets at about 220 bushels of 18% wheat.
I will pull it apart tomorrow to clean any grease off and get a new set of springs but do I need to replace the auger? Can I get just a weld on flight for the end or do I need to replace the entire auger?

Also what do you guys think of the toppers? Mine wont fit in the shed with it up and it makes it a pain to get in to grease the rotor. With the extra stress on the axle I'm not sure its worth the headache? (I'm not as agile as I used to be and I'm eventually gonna have a wreck folding it down)

Thanks

Last edited by ronski; 10-06-2019 at 10:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
The I would change the auger. They are splined so then that's new. and change the knuckle at the same time.
I like toppers other wise I cant make it to the other end of the field in corn. but I hear ya on the kind of a pain to work around.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Don't know about your combine but my 23 has a different pitch on the last turn of the flighting and it is heavier as well . Bought shoup's nylon flighting wear protectors to fix this but won't fit on the last bit but great idea . My last bit of flighting is down to a knife edge and am concerned about contacting it when going in the tank . Had the same problem as you and found a broken spring on the ratchet clutch , also had issue with u joint wearing out as old one was not greasible . Still find that clutch can ratchet with wet wheat .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
We have a hopper topper on a 2388. I've never worried about the axle but we've had tires go haywire and that isn't cheap. You can get the flighting from Rosetown. A lot cheaper than thru CNH. We had problems with the jackshaft slip clutch slipping when the hopper was getting full. Rebuilt it and tightened the springs a little more than spec. Has been fine ever since.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Changed auger this morning and its the same. Trying to pull slip clutch off before the snow.
The 3 nuts behind the inner jackshaft bearing attached to bolts inside or studs? If they are studs I can pull the jackshaft as an assembly?

Thanks

Last edited by ronski; 10-07-2019 at 08:14 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronski View Post
Changed auger this morning and its the same. Trying to pull slip clutch off before the snow.
The 3 nuts behind the inner jackshaft bearing attached to bolts inside or studs? If they are studs I can pull the jackshaft as an assembly?

Thanks
Think they're studs. Should be able to just take the nuts off. Bolts are welded in I believe.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

pulled it apart and the rear snap ring was like this and keyway is bent. I will change bearings and ratchet jaws cause its such a pain to get at and hopefully it works...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shaft.jpg (178.5 KB, 16 views)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If your clutch springs are getting weak, you can add another washer to each bolt for a bit more strength.

Also, if that clutch has been slipping a lot over the years, the teeth could be getting worn.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tightening springs is a bad idea long term. Rebuilt worn parts on the jackshaft the hub was worn and rendered spring lenghth issue irrelevant. If i had done this first i likely wouldnt have needed to add a bubble up auger although I do like it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Argh. Cleaned all grease out, replaced clutch jaws, and reassembled with the new snap ring seated.
Tried a sample today, wheat was down to 17.0% and the slip clutch went at 3/4 of a hopper again.
I'm going to order new springs tomorrow and if that fails I'm going to switch the jackshaft assembly from my 1680 and try it one more time before pulling the hopper topper off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page