CASE 8240 Feeder House Shuts Down - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question CASE 8240 Feeder House Shuts Down

The feeder house on our CASE 8240 is shutting down. We've replaced a speed sensor and then eliminated it on a drive to try to fix it, but it doesn't work.

It doesn't pull down. The head just stops. Any ideas? We're stumped.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 8120's seat switch started going bad and occasionally did this. I just bypassed it.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Does the computer beep before shutting down? I think normally it beeps when it shuts down due to the seat switch is not closed. I can't remember if the monitor shows a message or icon when this happens.

Unfortunately bypassing the switch on the 40 series is a bit harder as they've made the computer a bit too smart, unlike the older machines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I would second torriem’s question have there been any alarms that have come up on the screen? How long will it stay engaged? Is the disengagement consistent in as it goes for five minutes then disengages or is it erratic? What kind of engine loads are you seeing before it disengages? Is the feeder speed rpm on your screen consistent or does it jump around? Typically if it is something to do with the speed sensor you will get a feeder house slow alarm then disengagement.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 02:40 AM
KWO

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
The speed sensor in the "mickey mouse" gearbox are very reliable but are prone to picking up metal filings and covering the magnet on the end. Normally the first thing is to clean and reinstall the sensor. You may have a gearbox issue and the new sensor is covered in filings again.

Climate Change; if you don't produce more food or natural fibre than you eat or wear, then YOU are the problem!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
I worked on a 9120 a couple years ago. First complaint was feeder would randomly shut off. Second was hydro was low on power. Initially I didn’t care about the hydro because this was a rice harvester so flat ground +-1”. Until the next complaint came that the rotor was plugging too easy. All three use hydros. They all use the same charge pump to charge the hydros. Charge psi is supposed to be 425psi at idle. Charge psi is then regulated down to 300-330 psi for control psi. I think if the two pressures are too close then clutches lose lock up pressure or hydros loose charge. Every machine from 20 series up have been low in my area. Including 40 series after a couple hundred hours. On the electrical side I have repaired the harness at the CVT valves on a lot of machines.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
First start with the feeder engagement calibration... If anything is wrong with a sensor, pressure or switch, a fault code will pop up
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Sorry to jump your thread but many times new holland cr combines share issues. Tonight my 9090 shut header off but said my feeder reverser was engaged..any idea on that and does a Case have the same switch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in