The Combine Forum banner

Header size

8K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  jegster10 
#1 ·
How big of a header is everyone running on their class 8 flagship machines? How about your 7088 or equivalent? I need a new header for the 7088 and am trying to figure out size, I have a 35’ on the 8120 so I could switch it to the smaller machine and get a 40 or something else, just wondering what everyone else is using and pros or cons.

Thanks

#2 ·
How far will your machine spreads the straw, how long are your fields, and the size of the combine grain tank all factor in the header width decision for us. I want my combine to spread the straw the full width of header cut so the nutrients from the straw are evenly put back on the land. I want to have a header width and grain tank capacity combination so I can combine a half a mile there and back before the combine hopper is over flowing. That way my trucks or grain cart do not have to chase the combine all over the field compacting it to dump it.

#6 ·
I've never really thought about the distance cut as a factor before, I was thinking more along the lines of speed in the field. 40' will be kinda a pain to move down the road around here, but I can get 40' for quite a bit less $$ than another 35' or even a 30'

#3 ·
We bought an 8120 and a 40ft FD70 this year. The combine has the 75mm cylinders and wouldn't lift the header until we turned up the pressure. Even then it didn't lift very high. We made it thru harvest but bought the 3rd cylinder kit from Combine World. Haven't got it on yet but hopefully that solves the problem.

#5 ·
I had the same problem with a 3152 35', found a couple used 90mm and now it works good, you might want to change the lateral tilt cylinder to the HD version also, I haven't yet but it's on the list, it doesn't want to tilt properly with the smaller cylinder on it.

#7 ·
If you have to road a lot with the header on, a 35ft is a lot better than 40. We have 40 ft Macdon fd70 headers and pull them behind the combine if we are going any distance or down busy roads. You can ruin a header quite fast if you hit a sign on the end of it going in road gear.

#8 ·
I think you SK people may be the only people in the world (outside of AUS) that could even think about roading a 35' or 40' header! Here in IL, even a 20' is now to wide, as the traffic is just too heavy on almost all roads--you spend all your time sitting in the ditch waiting for cars to squeeze by. I have a friend in NY that says they really can't even transport a 15' safely on the roads anymore. And lets not even talk about the EU....

#11 ·
I road the 35’ but mostly just down the gravel roads, the one highway I have to worry about is a mess with traffic anymore, I have to sit for a couple minutes just to cross sometimes. There are just some areas that I have to pull the header off or go a few miles around due to fences being too close, or narrow bridges with tall guard rails. With a 40 I have a couple fields that I would have to take it off where as now I can squeeze in with the 35, my biggest thing was the $$$ aspect of being able to get a 40 cheaper around here, I’ll probably stick with another 35 or a 30 if I can find a good one.

#15 ·
Depending on brand $10-15k for a good used header.

Roading on highways with 35' or bigger will get someone killed . And at the very least will end up with at **** ton of fines and legislation at some point. Best to put on header carrier only takes a moment
On gravel roads if you have a pilot truck and a radio or phone your probably safe .
Calm down Francis, some of us live in God's country where the only traffic we see off the Highways are other farmers.

I like 35', a class 8 combine should have no problem getting up to engine load in a normal crop of wheat or canola, soybeans not but soybean harvest goes alot quicker anyway so losing an acre or 2 an hour there isnt a big deal.

Also I dont think the 8120's really came with a long enough auger to be comfortable against a cart pulled by a 4wd with a 40ft.

I used to road with my header on everywhere, as I can drive an hour not meeting another vehicle, but with how quick it is to flip a macdon in transport I started doing it to save wear on my final drives.
I have a 3152 with the hydraulic transport, so all I have to do is hit a button in the cab and then put the hitch on, so it's not too bad to drop it and move, I can usually be at the next field before the other machine that has to go around and slow down for sign's etc with the 30' head (which I sold and now need to replace) it's just that I'm lazy.

#14 ·
I like 35', a class 8 combine should have no problem getting up to engine load in a normal crop of wheat or canola, soybeans not but soybean harvest goes alot quicker anyway so losing an acre or 2 an hour there isnt a big deal.

Also I dont think the 8120's really came with a long enough auger to be comfortable against a cart pulled by a 4wd with a 40ft.

I used to road with my header on everywhere, as I can drive an hour not meeting another vehicle, but with how quick it is to flip a macdon in transport I started doing it to save wear on my final drives.

#17 ·
the real question is if you don't have a grain cart or operator, are you willing to park trucks wherever needed in the field? If driving trucks out in fields doesn't bother you then hang whatever you want on the front. I run a 45ft FD70 on an 8010. Had to change cylinders and put 2 3ft extensions on the auger for unloading on the go with a 4wd and grain cart but I'm happy with it.. Works well for soybeans. Keep the ground speed low and the machine is pretty much always full. Good wheat can be a slower day though. As far as roading goes, most guys around here run down the roads with 40+ft headers on.. I don't unless its close, thats a lot of weight and money hanging on for the ride. I've watched the neighbor loose his 45ft MacDon off the front of a 9120 wide open in road gear.. What a mess.. They made header transports built in and hitches on the combines for a reason..

#18 ·
Augers on both machines would work with 40’ headers pretty easily as they have longer tubes or extensions so I’m not worried about that, **** if the cart operator gets too close I can actually run grain over the opposite side of the cart. I’m thinking I’m going to lean more towards a 35’ just so I don’t have to constantly take it off to move a couple miles down the road, and also try to find a flex head so I can use it on either machine as we are going to start experimenting with soybeans next year (not a lot grown in this area and we never have touched them at all).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.