Whats next for combines - Page 3 - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 08:08 PM
jp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Whats next for combines

Quote:Those are some pretty major changes when it comes down to it.

not to meniton Sensors and Grain loss monitor

Yes, major changes. Question I ask, just exactly how do these changes increase throughput in any significant way?

Yes, more operator comfort, yes, better brakes and better on demand hydraulics, yes new locations for the switches and controls, yes, better climate control. How does having better brakes send more corn into the grain tank? How does being five degrees cooler in the cab get that tough wheat straw though the rotor? How about having the unload auger engage on the hydro stick instead of on the floor to the left help you pick up one mph in soybeans?

Point is, and that I've been making, is that the guts of the machine, the parts that are doing the job at hand, are essentially unchanged between a late 1680 and a modern 2388. That other stuff, big changes or not, is not helping the 2388 be more productive when it comes to the threshing and cleaning performance. What the cab, hydraulics, and electronics do is make the machine more comfortable to drive and let it be run for longer periods of time. The additional throughput of the 2388 is the added horsepower, plain and simple.

Crank a 1688 to 280hp and run it alongside a 2388, bet they'd be pretty dang even.

As for the grain loss monitor, same thing its always been from the 1600s til now, only it is now packaged in the A-post instead of having its own little box hanging on said post.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 08:44 PM

The problem with automatic feed rate is that it does not account for field terrain conditions. By attempting to run the combine at a ground speed to maintain engine load it would make for a real rough ride in my part of the midwest. I imagine that the engineers only considered the conditions of the dry western plains states where washouts and ditches are not common place. I could see alot of cracked rims and broken rear spindles happening running such systems here.

I saw a chart a couple of months ago that showed teir4 for 300hp and larger starting in 2007 or 2008. They have them staggered based on HP as to when each teir comes in. Some emmision levels had to be cut in half from teir3 levels

post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So anyone with experience with the AFC system on a Deere or Cat, can it level out a "beaver mound" of canola left from a poor swathing job? I thought it was pretty easy running a 2388 right up to its limit in canola, but as soon as you hit a beaver mound, that puts you way over the limit of the machine. Even trying to ease into it wasn't a simple task. Does this system control the speed of the feeder house to level out the intake of material?

-Lance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

I must be thinking of something else......Its some type of Automatic feeder cutoff perhaps??

Also our service is a 10 out of 10

So that sure isn't the issue

Crank a 1688 to 280hp and run it alongside a 2388

Now that would be interesting...

i guess the basic's are the same...but couldn't you say the 1400's to 2300's are the same?

also thats a great thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't want someone changing stuff and designs especially when it works

The bearings are still octagon shaped if i remember right (on shape) on the 23's just like the 14's

On the 8010's did that carry over

or are they round bearings?

Just curious

that was always a brilliant thing case did and something i wish everyone did

alot easier to knock of a bearing than cut it with a blow torch
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 09:03 PM
jp

Quote:
I saw a chart a couple of months ago that showed teir4 for 300hp and larger starting in 2007 or 2008. They have them staggered based on HP as to when each teir comes in. Some emmision levels had to be cut in half from teir3 levels

It may have been for on highway as their dates to meet the regs differ from off highway. I haven't paid much attention to the highway, off highway is much more interesting to me.

I did find it a bit interesting in my reading with the off highway emissions that the lowest horsepower engines had to meet Tier IV earliest, believe 30hp and below was the first stage in 08 or so, followed by 2-3 more designations and dates, ending with the big boys.

EDIT: Went looking for some articles on this, curiosity got the better of me again. Found this page on the EPA site about Tier IV.

http://www.epa.gov/nonroad-diesel/420f03008.htm
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 09:14 PM
jp

casefarmer, I agree on it being a good thing that the same basics are still there, simply shows just how awesomely smart those engineers in the 60s and 70s that developed this were to have the forethought this far into the future. This isn't to say that I don't believe in continual development, nothing is ever completely perfect, gotta keep going forward. But who'd a thunk we'd be turning the same 30" rotor in the same chassis thirty years later at an additional 100-135hp?

I guess I kinda call a break in the 1400s and 1600s due to a couple deals. First, the sieve area on the 1400s and first 1600s is smaller then the current 88. Secondly, you got more concave wrap when the 1600s came out with the concave extensions that were added, got some more seperation capacity with cage modifications as well at this time. Late 1680 on through today is pretty much the same to me.
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

I was going to ask you cropcutter what the difference was between the 14's and 16's

We never had a 16 but we did have a 14...then a 21...then 23's...

Weve been very very happy with them all.....And hope that continues.

What all have you ran...and did you ever have one that was a reall pain...

1480 for a long time..id need to ask and find out just how long we had it.

2188 we had for a few years and now we role 2 2388's

So far no big pain's.....but that 2188 still is a fav..

I think just because it was so new and different to the older style
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 09:43 PM
jp

Have run and worked with lots of Axial Flows, as I grow older I get more and more interested in them, and with more interest comes more knowledge (can you tell I've got a slight bit of passion about em? )

AFs operated, not all on this farm however:
1440s and 1460s.
1640s

Had a 1440 back on the roll program that had a few issues, but didn't turn us sour by any means. Quit the rollover deal back in 1988.
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Yeah i could tell you did from our earlier arguments

but im glad we got into it......its been kinda boring on here for a while

Nice list of combines too..

thanks for the info and have a good one..
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

I know what you mean

I think Case or deere would be surprised if they made say a

2344 again and at a fair price.......

It would probably be a big seller

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page