Tailings in wheat - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tailings in wheat

Second day combining wheat with 2388 and 30 foot draper head. When I get into heavier patches of wheat I have trouble with the tailings monitor going off. Engine RPM's are in the 2370-80 range so I have the power to go faster but the tailings are slowing me up. Have the concaves around 1, rotor RPM at 1050 loaded, fan at 1150 loaded, chaffer at 8 and sieve at 6 on the outside adjustments. Machine has an AFX rotor and the front 2 concaves are small wire and the third one is a small wire with every other wire pulled, smooth grates.Travelling 3-3.5 mph most of the time and the wheat is yielding over 100 bu/ac. Lots of straw also to go into the machine. Have been spreading the straw and noticing that the right side of the spread pattern seems to have about 2/3 of the straw and the left side 1/3. Does this have anything to do with the crop coming out of the rotor and possible overloading of the sieves on one side? Any suggestions are welcomed. TIA

MX110

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 04:29 PM

Re: Tailings in wheat

Open that bottom sieve up!!!!
Start from all open and go down not the other way around.
U will get a lot of junk in the tank this way but it's better to do it like this.
I think your setting is will be around 12.

Set u'r grain loss monitor on medium size kernels and sensetivety 5-6.
Light 3 and 4 are the rotor loss sensors. #4 is on the righthand side and this is the same side where the return dumps in. If light #4 is flashing alot u usally have to much return.
The Aixial Flow is a great combine but one of the weak spots is running too much return. The return run right up the right hand side and out the back.
Also i find looking at the lights to be a better indicator of too much return than the return monitor. I allways run with the factory setting and if it shows any return at all I open the bottom sieve at bit more.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 05:09 PM

Re: Tailings in wheat

I agree with twinflow on the bottom sieve. You never said what sieve you have in the bottom 1-1/8 or 1-5/8?
Sounds like your rotor speed is too high and too tight on the concave (creates more chaff load on sieves). Been running 30" dia rotor at 850-900rpm with concave at 2 and had to set the lower sieve(1-1/8) alot more open this year than normal. Tailings running at near zero and the sample is 0.1-0.2 dockage. Grain scan set at 7 for sensitivity and losses under 1%. Wheat also running well over 100 bu/acre average and the straw is very tough (green) in places this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page